[SOLVED] Can't make two characters show up at the same time

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Kiray

[SOLVED] Can't make two characters show up at the same time

#1 Post by Kiray »

Hey everybody!

I'm a total newbie at Ren'Py (bet you never heard that one before) and currently I'm majorly confused because I can't make two characters appear in my game at the same time. I did go through the documentation and various Google searches and - english is not my mother tongue so there is a chance I just misunderstood the possibilities - as far as I get everyone's explanations, I just need to use

Code: Select all

show eileen happy at left
show lucy mad at right
with dissolve
to show both of those girls, on screen, at the same time. Just so they appear next to each other - one right, one left side.

now my code so far looks like this (there is a bunch of declarations above it, but they're not relevant since it's just basic image and define stuff)

# The game starts here.

label start:

scene bg pc

"Hello, world."

show char A at right with easeinright
    show char B at left with easeinleft

e "You've created a new Ren'Py game."

e "Once you add a story, pictures, and music, you can release it to the world!"

# This ends the game.

return
And.... that's it. Both characters are shown when they're on their own.
When using the easeinright/left option, I can see character A being eased into the frame, then character B follows and A is gone.
When not using the easeinright/left option, I just don't get to see character A at all. Just character B appears at its designated position and that's it.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong... is there an option maybe, or something that could influence this? I didn't change a lot of things in the other rpy files, just the font's and font sizes that are being used. :(
Last edited by Kiray on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

Re: Can't make two characters show up at the same time

#2 Post by Remix »

You call them both 'char' so Ren'py thinks of them as the same... either rename them, say 'bob A' and 'ralph B' or use the 'as' keyword
show char B as ralph at...

The first part of an image name is basically the tag used to recognize that image on screen, additional name parts are generally different poses, outfits, expressions etc.
Ren'py re-uses image tags where possible as it is faster within the render engine and easier within memory management/caching.
Last edited by Remix on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#3 Post by trooper6 »

The problem is char A and char B are the same person so only one of them is going to be on screen at the same time.

Look at the original code:

show lucy mad at right
with dissolve
The pattern is:
show charactername modifier at location

when you write:
show char A at left
show char B at right

that is the same as writing
show eileen sad at right

You are only going to have eileen on screen once.

So you need to rename your images.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Kiray

#4 Post by Kiray »

Oh my god... I'm such an idiot.

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH

I seriously didn't get that. Somehow, somewhere in my mind using "char" was part of the command or... I actually don't know what was going on in my mind :oops: you have no idea how often I looked at the examples given... I still didn't get it... but it's so OBVIOUS now :lol: Oh gosh, the embarassment :D

Thank you so much for your time & effort ♥ now it obviously works flawlessly.