[SOLVED] Transitions aren't working ! The "with" statement.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Koinaiji

[SOLVED] Transitions aren't working ! The "with" statement.

#1 Post by Koinaiji »

Hi ! So here's the problem : I want to use the "dissolve" effect, but it isn't working and after many search and test, I'm unable to understand why. I even copy/paste the lines of "The Questions" demo that come with ren'py...

So, what I'm writing is something like :

Code: Select all

image bg chamber = "chamber.jpg"
image black = "#000"

label start:

scene black

text
   some other text

scene bg chamber
   with dissolve

and other text
And nothing. The image just pop up... Do someone understand ? Please. I tried other transition effect, and nothing. I even try to put timer...

Oh, and when I'm at it, why do the images always have "bg" in their name when I see exemple, when it's doing just fine without this "bg" (so just image chamber = "chamber.jpg") ?

Thank you for everything !
Last edited by Koinaiji on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Transitions aren't working ! The "with" statement.

#2 Post by Zelan »

I can't help you with the coding, but as for the background names, it's just easier to keep everything organized if you have some sort of system for naming your images. Labeling background as "bg" somewhere in the name tends to be pretty common. But you're right, it's perfectly okay to name them differently if that is easiest for you. c:

I hope someone can help you, I've had trouble figuring out "dissolve" too.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#3 Post by trooper6 »

having them all be names bg something, means that when you call a new bg, it will replace the old bg (as opposed to just keeping them all on screen all the time one on top of the other).

If you did this:
show bg chamber
"text"
show bg meadow
"text"
show bg chamber

It would work at you imagined. You'd see the chamber, then you'd see the meadow, then you'd see the chamber.

If you did this:
show chamber
"text"
show meadow
"text"
show chamber

It wouldn't work the way you imagine.
You'd see the chamber, then you'd see the meadow (which would be on top of the chamber which would still be there), then would still see the meadow...because the chamber is already on the screen...just under the meadow.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Koinaiji

#4 Post by Koinaiji »

Thanks for the answer ! Now I finally understand the "bg" utility. Still, I tough that what was reseting the layer was only "scene" and not "bg" or, is that "scene" reset every layer while "bg" only reset the background ?

And so, my problem with dissolve is more complicated that I tought ?

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by xela »

Transitions usually don't work because player/developer set the engine to skip them and forgot about it. Forum and Channel is flooded with solutions that simple. If transitions are not working, check the game menu preferences screen and make sure that you did not set them to skip.

There are not many other ways of killing them off. Prolly none without messing with the engine or redefining them.
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

Koinaiji

#6 Post by Koinaiji »

My god... That was... just this... Go in preference and uncheck the "transition" skipping option...
Man... I feel so dumb. I never saw this so simple solution after hour of searching xD.

Well, thanks a lot sir ! Problem solved !

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#7 Post by trooper6 »

Koinaiji wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:18 am Thanks for the answer ! Now I finally understand the "bg" utility. Still, I tough that what was reseting the layer was only "scene" and not "bg" or, is that "scene" reset every layer while "bg" only reset the background ?

And so, my problem with dissolve is more complicated that I tought ?
scene does reset everything...but what if you don't want to reset everything? What if you, for example, have a sprite showing in front of background 1, and then you want background 2 to show up...but you don't want the sprite to go anywhere? In other words, you are still in the same scene, you just want the background to change? this is a reason to use show rather than scene
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978