Spriter API?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Dengar

Spriter API?

#1 Post by Dengar »

So, I really love things like 2D skeletal animation to add a little life to characters. I'm a big fan of apps like Spriter that let me achieve this. Given how Ren'Py and Spriter have both been around for a while, I was wondering whether or not some sort of implementation existed that reads animation data straight from a Spriter project. Does such a thing exist? I tried running a search for it, and although Spriter is occasionally mentioned by name on this forum, I haven't found an actual implementation of this (although I may have just missed it). If it doesn't exist, how do people usually do animation in their Ren'Py projects? Do they just export a .png series or something?

Also, if it doesn't exist, I wonder if there's a want or need for such an implementation? The reason I ask is because it sounds like something I could work on for my next project, but I don't want to do any work that's already been done or isn't going to see much use.

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Spriter API?

#2 Post by xela »

There is no Spriter, Spine, DragonBones or any skeletal animation software implementation for Ren'Py. Spine may be simpler to implement as there are some Python based code libraries for it already. It's difficult to say how well it would work without trying.

People usually export a series of PNG files indeed, if control over animation sequence is desired. Webm based Movie Sprites is also a good option if you seek just to loop your animation.
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

Re: Spriter API?

#3 Post by Remix »

I did consider seeing how much of Synfig's output I could implement within Ren'py a while ago. Not had much time to play with it though. Theoretically all the bones based animation should be do-able, plus with Synfig being open sourced you can look below the bonnet to see how things tick.
Frameworks & Scriptlets: