RenPy 6.99.13 Prereleased

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

RenPy 6.99.13 Prereleased

#1 Post by PyTom »

This is a prerelease, so you need to consider if you want to make a release with it. While it features many improvements, it hasn't been fully tested against a variety of hardware.

I'd like to announce Ren'Py 6.99.13, the last in a series of releases that will culminate in Ren'Py 7.

This release improves Ren'Py for creators of all levels of experience. Some of the highlights of this release are:
  • The two games that are bundled with Ren'Py have both been remade. Both are now in the 16:9 aspect ratio and use modern Ren'Py programming techniques. The Tutorial has been rethought, and is now structured to be a basic and in-depth class in Ren'Py, with hundreds of new examples. (The old tutorial may still be used when a translation exists for a language.)
  • Ren'Py now ships with the interactive director, which can be accessed by pressing 'D'. The directory allows one to edit scripts from inside Ren'Py, adding and modifying the scene, show, hide, with, play, queue, stop and voice statements.
  • Ren'Py now runs on the Raspberry Pi. Raspberry Pi files can be downloaded and added to a Ren'PY release, though it's a creator's responsibility to ensure that their project runs in the limited memory available on that platform.
  • Ren'Py now takes advantage of Non-Power of Two (NPOT) textures to reduce memory usage, when supported on a platform. Memory usage can be reduced further by setting config.cache_surfaces to False.
  • The functionality of the {a} text tag, which introduces a hyperlink, has been improved. It's now possible to use a hyperlink to jump to a label, call a label, or show a screen.
  • The say statement has been extended to take arguments. This new syntax can be used by advanced creators to provide additional information to a say statement.
  • Translations of the launcher to French and Brazilian Portugese have been added, while the new tutorial is also available in Russian.
In addition to these, dozens of minor improvements are mentioned in the changelog.

Downloads of 6.99.13 can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/release/6.99.13

A full list of changes to Ren'Py can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/dev-doc/html/changelog.html

A list of changes that may require you to update your game can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/dev-doc/html/incompatible.html

Please also check out the credits and sponsor list.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

Re: RenPy 6.99.13 Prereleased

#2 Post by PyTom »

6.99.13.2777)

So, this is it. This is the first prerelease of Ren'Py 6.99.13, which I hope release unchanged as 6.99.99 7.0.

There is one known issue on this, which is that on a ten year old computer, dissolves do not work. This is due to the new Non-Power of Two texture support, which saves memory. While I plan to fix it, if people could try this release on their older hardware and tell me if dissolves do not work, I'd appreciate it.

This release has not been thoroughly tested on the Mac or Raspberry Pi platforms yet. I need to rewire some things to test under the Raspberry Pi, and my Mac has been having problems. (I plan to replace it tomorrow, thanks to the generous Ren'Py sponsors.)

Incredible thanks go to everyone who tests these prereleases. Already, I've had multiple people sending me reports that have improved Ren'Py. It's the support of the community that makes it possible for me to make an engine like Ren'Py and give it away for free. So thank you in advance for the time spent testing this release.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

I have a desktop that was built in 2008. Though not ten years old, it's probably close enough to.

I'll test dissolves on that, but I don't really know what NPOT actually means. Do you mean it's not mod2/4/8/16/etc compliant? Do I need to do anything special to use it?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Karl_C
Veteran

#4 Post by Karl_C »

Imperf3kt wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:20 amI'll test dissolves on that, but I don't really know what NPOT actually means.
I guess this one is most relevant for game developers:
Older hardware
The R300 and R400-based cards (Radeon 9500+ and X500+) are incapable of generic NPOT usage, despite allegedly supporting OpenGL 2.0 (which requires full support). These cards only allow you to use NPOTs if the texture has no mipmaps.

NV30-based cards (GeForce FX of any kind) are incapable of NPOTs at all, despite allegedly OpenGL 2.0 (which again requires NPOTs). It will do software rendering if you try to use it.

Any hardware beyond that can handle NPOTs of any kind perfectly.
Source & further description : OpenGL Wiki: NPOT Texture.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#5 Post by Imperf3kt »

So.. Does that include the Radeon HD 5770XXX
You can't even download drivers for it anymore :P
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

xela
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by xela »

Our game failed to get past the new SL parser. It would seem that it's no longer possible to condition layouts:

Code: Select all

screen test():
    frame:
        if False:
            has vbox xsize 100
        else:
            has vbox xsize 50

label start:
    call screen test
The reason we did not pick this up earlier is that recompile was required, older bytecode just ran in .13 without any issues.
Like what we're doing? Support us at:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#7 Post by PyTom »

It's never been possible to condition layouts like that. In an expanded version of that example.

screen test2():
    frame:
        if False:
            has vbox xsize 100
        else:
            has vbox xsize 50

text "A"
        text "B"
A and B are not placed in the layout, they're placed in a fixed that also contains the layout, and wind up on top of each other. This is a case of Ren'Py detecting a condition that has always been erroneous - I don't see any case in which this could ever have worked right.

trekopedia
Regular

#8 Post by trekopedia »

This pre-release looks excellent! I really like the new tutorial and some of the new functionality supported by Renpy looks very useful. I'm still a novice at this, but it is a very impressive framework. PyTom -- thank you very much for creating this and keeping it going!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#9 Post by PyTom »

6.99.13.2808)

I've updated the prerelease to fix all of the issues I know about. These include:

* There's now a check to see if the Ren'Py launcher is running from a read-only mac drive image. If so, we ask the user to move the Ren'Py folder.

* The use of genderize.io to guess genders for placeholders has been removed, at least until Ren'Py gets SSL support.

* An issue with saving screenshots in non-ASCII directories has been fixed. In the case where the screenshot fails, we report the error to the player.

* The clip rectangle is made very slightly bigger than it should be. This fixes a problem that would manifest itself as vertical or horizontal lines, in some cases (like buttons and bars that are being tiled.) The problem was that we'd compute the dimensions twice, in slightly different ways, and that could cause a problem due to rounding in the computer when the clip rectangle was slightly smaller than it could be, leading to these lines.

* The Russian translation has been updated. (So has the Pig Latin translation that I test with.)

* There have been a number of minor fixes to the tutorial game.

* Render-to-texture textures are now created in a mode that is compatible with having a Non-power-of-two (NPOT) size. This doesn't matter much on modern hardware, which support NPOT in all modes, but it fixes problems experienced on netbook-level hardware.

* The windows .7z.exe file has been updated so it can properly decompress itself.

* An issue that could cause a small size to happen when the xmaximum or ymaximum of a window or button is a float has been fixed.

* ATL issues relating to the new single-frame behavior have been fixed.

Thank you to everyone who tested - their bug reports found many of these issues, making for a far better Ren'Py release. I'm about to bump this up to a public pre-release. To be honest, it's probably better than 6.99.12 at this point, but I want more feedback before I make the final release.

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by philat »

New tutorial is quite awesome. Haven't tested 99.13 with any of my games yet, but I was going through the changelog and found an incomplete sentence:

"The Ren'Py set type now inherits from the Python set type, rather than the obsolete sets.Set type. Set literals are now properly wrapped so that they may be"

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#11 Post by Camille »

After updating to 6.99.13.2808, I got this error when I tried to build a distribution:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
Exception: Possible infinite loop.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "launcher/game/distribute_gui.rpyc", line 277, in script call
File "launcher/game/distribute_gui.rpyc", line 273, in script
File "/Applications/Renpy/renpy/execution.py", line 58, in check_infinite_loop
raise Exception("Possible infinite loop.")
After I hit ignore, it went back to the main menu and then allowed me to build the distribution as normal, so I'm not sure what that was about but figured it was worth reporting.

RicharDann
Veteran

#12 Post by RicharDann »

Camille wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:04 pm After updating to 6.99.13.2808, I got this error when I tried to build a distribution:

While running game code:
I got this error too when creating a new project. I erased that project and then created a new one, and it worked fine. I'll update if it does occur again I'll post the full traceback just in case.

UPDATE:
The error seems to occur when you try to make a project with with name in all uppercase. I was trying to make a project in spanish language, if that helps. English seems to be working no problem, so I figure it has to do with the translation. Here's the traceback:

While running game code:

Full traceback:
  File "launcher/game/gui7.rpyc", line 440, in script call
  File "launcher/game/translations.rpyc", line 324, in script
  File "C:\Archivos de programa\renpy-6.99.13-sdk.7z\renpy\execution.py", line 58, in check_infinite_loop
    raise Exception("Possible infinite loop.")

Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3
Ren'Py 6.99.13.2777
Ren'Py Launcher 6.99.13.2777
When you try to launch the game, Ren'py produces this error

While running game code:
Exception: DynamicImage [u'gui/button/navigation_[prefix_]background.png', u'gui/button/[prefix_]background.png']: could not find image. (u'gui/button/navigation_idle_background.png', u'gui/button/navigation_background.png', and 2 more.)

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 28, in script
    python hide:
  File "C:\Archivos de programa\renpy-6.99.13-sdk.7z\renpy\ast.py", line 827, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Archivos de programa\renpy-6.99.13-sdk.7z\renpy\python.py", line 1756, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 35, in <module>
    ui.interact()
  File "C:\Archivos de programa\renpy-6.99.13-sdk.7z\renpy\ui.py", line 287, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Archivos de programa\renpy-6.99.13-sdk.7z\renpy\display\core.py", line 2551, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Archivos de programa\renpy-6.99.13-sdk.7z\renpy\display\core.py", line 2914, in interact_core
    self.draw_screen(root_widget, fullscreen_video, (not fullscreen_video) or video_frame_drawn)
  File "C:\Archivos de programa\renpy-6.99.13-sdk.7z\renpy\display\core.py", line 1980, in draw_screen
    renpy.config.screen_height,
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 430, in renpy.display.render.render_screen (gen\renpy.display.render.c:6938)
    rv = render(root, width, height, 0, 0)
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 196, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:2983)
    rv = d.render(widtho, heighto, st, at)
  File "C:\Archivos de programa\renpy-6.99.13-sdk.7z\renpy\display\layout.py", line 702, in render
    surf = render(child, width, height, cst, cat)
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 110, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:3445)
    cpdef render(d, object widtho, object heighto, double st, double at):
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 196, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:2983)
  File "C:\Archivos de programa\renpy-6.99.13-sdk.7z\renpy\display\layout.py", line 702, in render
  File "renpy/display/render.pyx", line 110, in renpy.display.render.render (gen\renpy.display.render.c:3445)
  File "C:\Archivos de programa\renpy-6.99.13-sdk.7z\renpy\display\screen.py", line 625, in render
    child = renpy.display.render.render(self.child, w, h, st, at)
  File "C:\Archivos de programa\renpy-6.99.13-sdk.7z\renpy\display\layout.py", line 904, in render
    surf = render(d, width - x, rh, cst, cat)
  File "C:\Archivos de programa\renpy-6.99.13-sdk.7z\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 715, in render
    rv = super(Button, self).render(width, height, st, at)
  File "C:\Archivos de programa\renpy-6.99.13-sdk.7z\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1063, in render
    xminimum = max(xminimum, size_groups[size_group].width(width, height, st, at))
  File "C:\Archivos de programa\renpy-6.99.13-sdk.7z\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1008, in width
    rend = i.render(width, height, st, at)
  File "C:\Archivos de programa\renpy-6.99.13-sdk.7z\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 715, in render
    rv = super(Button, self).render(width, height, st, at)
  File "C:\Archivos de programa\renpy-6.99.13-sdk.7z\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1118, in render
    back = render(style.background, bw, bh, st, at)
  File "C:\Archivos de programa\renpy-6.99.13-sdk.7z\renpy\display\imagelike.py", line 254, in render
    crend = render(image, width, height, st, at)
  File "C:\Archivos de programa\renpy-6.99.13-sdk.7z\renpy\display\image.py", line 581, in render
    self.find_target()
  File "C:\Archivos de programa\renpy-6.99.13-sdk.7z\renpy\display\image.py", line 514, in find_target
    raise Exception(error)
Exception: DynamicImage [u'gui/button/navigation_[prefix_]background.png', u'gui/button/[prefix_]background.png']: could not find image. (u'gui/button/navigation_idle_background.png', u'gui/button/navigation_background.png', and 2 more.)

Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3
Ren'Py 6.99.13.2777
XYZ 1.0
The game runs fine if you click ignore, but the error reappears when it ends.
The most important step is always the next one.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#13 Post by PyTom »

6.99.13.2863)

It is now possible to create a projects.txt file in the projects directory. If this file is present, Ren'Py will consider each line in the file to be the full path to the project, and load those projects as if they had been placed in the projects directory.

iOS builds properly.

Android includes the unicodedata modules, like the other platforms do.

Looking has been fixed to work on android.

An issue with Movie displayables has been fixed. The issue would manifest when switching the preferences to disable movies off in the menu context, and then returning to the main context.

Ren'Py will log errors loading the persistent file.

This fixes a regression where persistent files saved by 6.99.13 could not be loaded by 6.99.12 and earlier versions. While this compatibility is not guaranteed, it's nice to have.

There have been several fixes to the interactive director. The director will no longer let you try to add a line in a place Ren'Py can't accept. It allows a line to keep its attributes even if those attributes correspond to a placeholder and not an image. Reloading the project was slow when the director was enabled. Now it's much faster, as scanning files for lines is deferred until the lines are required.

Infinite loop warnings, like those above, are prevented when a process takes a long time to run.

The Simplified Chinese translation of the launcher has been updated.

AXYPB
Regular
Github: AXYPB

#14 Post by AXYPB »

I received an error related to missing files for an imagemap defined with auto file names, but it appears to be improperly formatted in Ren'Py itself. A TypeError is returned rather than a proper error message.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00gamemenu.rpy", line 173, in script
    $ ui.interact()
  File "renpy/common/00gamemenu.rpy", line 173, in <module>
    $ ui.interact()
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1253, in execute
    screen preferences():
    screen preferences():
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1258, in execute
    imagemap:
TypeError: not all arguments converted during string formatting

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/common/00gamemenu.rpy", line 173, in script
    $ ui.interact()
  File "\renpy\ast.py", line 827, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "\renpy\python.py", line 1764, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "renpy/common/00gamemenu.rpy", line 173, in <module>
    $ ui.interact()
  File "\renpy\ui.py", line 287, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "\renpy\display\core.py", line 2553, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "\renpy\display\core.py", line 2821, in interact_core
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "\renpy\display\core.py", line 495, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback)
    d.visit_all(callback)
    d.visit_all(callback)
    d.visit_all(callback)
  File "\renpy\display\screen.py", line 401, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "\renpy\display\core.py", line 2821, in <lambda>
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
  File "\renpy\display\screen.py", line 411, in per_interact
    self.update()
  File "\renpy\display\screen.py", line 580, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)
    screen preferences():
    screen preferences():
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 1258, in execute
    imagemap:
  File "\renpy\ui.py", line 1213, in _imagemap
    ground = pick(ground, ( "ground", "idle" ), idle)
  File "\renpy\ui.py", line 1211, in pick
    raise Exception("Could not find a %s image for imagemap." % name)
TypeError: not all arguments converted during string formatting

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.13.2863

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#15 Post by PyTom »

I've updated the prerelease. I'll be honest, for a week of work there's not all that much here. That might be a good thing - we're getting very close to release.

6.99.13.2886)

* The renpy.get_attributes function was added, which is a feature that was missing. It gets the current attributes for an image tag.

* Malformed text tags no longer break lit.

* Minor visual fixes for the tutorial games on Android and iOS.

* Fixed loading .webp images on raspi.

* Fixed the error above.