RenPy 6.99.13 Prereleased

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: RenPy 6.99.13 Prereleased

#16 Post by PyTom »

6.99.13.2890)

https://www.renpy.org/release/6.99.13

This release has a single change in it - and it's a doozy.

Ren'Py has a function, called audio.periodic, that's basically responsible for playing sound and music. This function is called 20 times a second, and checks to see if any music needs to be played. It also does thing like loading up queued music when the music loops.

The problem happens when scanning for and opening sound files. Usually, this is quite fast. But until now, it's been running in the main Ren'Py thread, which is what's responsible for drawing the screed without a glitch. If there was extra disk access, things like that, opening the music file could take unacceptably long and you could see that in certain animations. It me most of a year to identify the cause of this issue, mostly because I use solid state drives that are fast enough that it is rarely a problem. (Thanks go to Morgan Willcock for figuring out the cause.)

The fix is to create a second thread of execution for the periodic sound task. This way, loading files can take as long as necessary, and drawing the screen isn't affected. But this is a major change very late in the release process. I've been testing quite a bit here, and will test more. But I ask people to also try this with their own games, and see if there is any change in behavior.

Thanks for everyone who's tested so far - your contributions, as always, have massively improved Ren'Py.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Re: RenPy 6.99.13 Prereleased

#17 Post by jack_norton »

Cool, in desktop computers thanks to their power there was no problem (at least in my games) but I noticed this in mobile versions of my RPGs - many times during fight the audio was skipping when the combat animations were playing. I'm going to give it a try to see if fixes this :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games