[SOLVED] Imagebutton with text?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
RicharDann
Veteran

[SOLVED] Imagebutton with text?

#1 Post by RicharDann »

I was wondering if there is a way to have imagebuttons show a string over them? I'm making some menu buttons with text that can be translated, I've tried this:

Code: Select all

screen gm_menu():

imagebutton _("Inventory") auto "gm_button_%s.png" action ShowMenu('inv_menu')
But obviously this didn't work. Is there a way to have text appear over an imagebutton?

I suppose I could use a textbutton, but how would I add an image below that would react to the button being hovered and unhovered so it changes like imagebuttons do automatically?
Last edited by RicharDann on Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The most important step is always the next one.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Imagebutton with text?

#2 Post by Donmai »

Images can also be translated.
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/translat ... anslations
When translating a game, it may be necessary to replace a file with a translate version. For example, if an image contains text, it might make sense to replace it with a version of the image where the text is in another language.

Ren'Py handles this by looking in the translation directory for the image. For example, if the "piglatin" language is in use, and "library.png" is loaded, Ren'Py will use "game/tl/piglatin/library.png" in preference to "game/library.png".
Let's say your game is in English and you have your imagebuttons in game/images/imagebutons/
and your game has, say, a Russian translation, then you will put your Russian imagebuttons in
game/tl/russian/images/imagebuttons/.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

RicharDann
Veteran

Re: Imagebutton with text?

#3 Post by RicharDann »

So as I expected I have to make multiple copies every single imagebutton file for each translation. I didn't want to do it this way hoping to save some space. But now that I think about it, imagebuttons have really small size so it won't make that much of a difference. I'll go with this, thanks Donmai!

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

Re: [SOLVED] Imagebutton with text?

#4 Post by xavimat »

Don't forget that you have the "button" in screens. imagebuttons and textbuttons are made from "button", but "button" is a fixed where you can add what you want: an image, a translatable text on top of it, another text on the corner, another image on the left..., and an "action" when anywhere on the button is clicked.
https://renpy.org/doc/html/screens.html#button
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#5 Post by Donmai »

"Button" is a great interface statement. It's only lacking some good examples of usage in its documentation.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

#6 Post by xavimat »

Donmai wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:39 pm "Button" is a great interface statement. It's only lacking some good examples of usage in its documentation.
That.

In screens.rpy, in the screen file_slots(title) there are some examples of "button", one of them with a vbox inside of it. But they are a little advanced. I suggest to study those.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

RicharDann
Veteran

#7 Post by RicharDann »

xavimat, you're totally right! At first I thought button was a kind of hotspot like on imagemaps I didn't imagine it could accept children, this will be indeed very useful, thank you!

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

#8 Post by Remix »

Another option (which retains all the benefits of imagebutton, such as alpha mask and the auto toggle for the images) is to just throw the imagebutton and text in a fixed...

fixed:
            imagebutton idle "images/btn.png" action Jump('nowhere') xpos 0 ypos 0
            text _("Translate Me") xpos 5 ypos 20
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

RVNSN
Regular
Projects: Lust & Piracy
itch: rvnsn

#9 Post by RVNSN »

I'm missing something, neither of these worked for me. Could you show the code you got to work to display text over an imagebutton, please?

[UPDATE:]

After going back to it with a less weary brain, I finally got it to work using remix's method, as it required almost zero modification to my preexisting code.

The 2 following variations worked out just fine and dandy. And a screenshot to show it in use, if anyone else needs to see an example. Oh, and I used "textbutton" instead of "text", because I have it set to use a certain font.

A big thank you to everyone here!

screen booty2():
    fixed:
        imagebutton xalign 0.01 ypos 650:
            idle "gui/treasure_chest_gui_idle.png"
            hover "gui/treasure_chest_gui_hover.png"
            action [Show ("booty"), Hide ("booty2")]
        textbutton _("{color=#000000}{size=-20}$[money]{/size}{/color}") xalign 0.085 ypos 760
OR, using the auto variant for imagebutton:

screen booty2():
    fixed:
        imagebutton auto "gui/treasure_chest_gui_%s.png":
            xalign 0.01
            ypos 650
            action [Show ("booty"), Hide ("booty2")]
        textbutton _("{color=#000000}{size=-20}$[money]{/size}{/color}") xalign 0.085 ypos 760
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 11.40.57 PM.png