I cannot create a game!!!

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
avidsonicfan1991

I cannot create a game!!!

#1 Post by avidsonicfan1991 »

So, I was trying to make my game file for the first time, but after I picked my custom theme, I get an error message saying "/usr/share/renpy/gui/game does not appear to be a Ren'Py game."! I can't figure this out!!! I use Manjaro Linux, and there doesn't seem to be a "gui" folder in my ren'py folder. I downloaded that folder from github and placed it in my main folder, but when the file was being created, an exception occurred, and I cannot run my game! HOW CAN I DO THIS?!???

avidsonicfan1991

Re: I cannot create a game!!!

#2 Post by avidsonicfan1991 »

I think this problem has to do with me picking the newer GUI option instead of Legacy. Is there any way for me to start projects under the newer GUI option at all?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

You mention you got an exception message. Please post that in full as text and explain what you did to make your game and somebody will be able to help.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

avidsonicfan1991

#4 Post by avidsonicfan1991 »

It read...

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "launcher/game/translations.rpy", line 286, in <module>
renpy.translation.extract.extract_strings_core(language, STRINGS_JSON)
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'/usr/share/renpy/tmp/strings.json'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "/home/rusty/gui7.rpyc", line 418, in script call
File "/home/rusty/translations.rpyc", line 280, in script
File "/usr/share/renpy/renpy/ast.py", line 814, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "/usr/share/renpy/renpy/python.py", line 1719, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File "launcher/game/translations.rpy", line 286, in <module>
renpy.translation.extract.extract_strings_core(language, STRINGS_JSON)
File "/usr/share/renpy/renpy/translation/extract.py", line 45, in extract_strings_core
with open(destination, "wb") as f:
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'/usr/share/renpy/tmp/strings.json'

Linux-4.9.51-1-MANJARO-x86_64-with-glibc2.2.5
Ren'Py 6.99.12.4.2187
Ren'Py Launcher 6.99.12.4.2187

As I said, I decided to choose "New GUI Interface" instead of "Legacy Theme Interface", which alone caused the whole thing. But I wanted to do this new GUI theme because of widescreen! Then I gave my project my name, chose 720 as my resolution, then picked my accent and background colors. Then it spent a few seconds creating the thing before that error message appeared.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Imperf3kt »

So this happened while making a new project?
Looks like it hung on the launcher translations, which language is your default?

Can't say I know whats the go with this one.
Just incase you are not aware though, the old gui / legacy is capable of widescreen, you just need to set the size from within options.rpy

Twitter

avidsonicfan1991

#6 Post by avidsonicfan1991 »

Imperf3kt wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:18 am So this happened while making a new project?
Looks like it hung on the launcher translations, which language is your default?

Can't say I know whats the go with this one.
Just incase you are not aware though, the old gui / legacy is capable of widescreen, you just need to set the size from within options.rpy
First of all, English is my default language.
Second of all, thank you for giving me this resolution change suggestion for the Legacy GUI! I would never have thought of it! According to the create new project menu, it says "The new GUI supports wide screens", but now I realize that it's only for non-coders!

In a way, my problem is solved! I can just change the resolution by changing the code in the options file of the game when using the old gui method, but I guess the modern gui method is not compatible with Linux systems (It's only a guess). I have to use a Windows machine in order to use the modern gui method (even though I haven't used Ren'Py on there at all).

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Imperf3kt »

It works on linux systems, I know this 100% for sure.

Perhaps try reinstalling or recompiling renpy from source code. There may have been an error during the install.

The new gui and the legacy gui are the same code, the new GUI just has different theme styling and wraps a lot of styling into gui.rpy

Twitter

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

#8 Post by qirien »

It could also be a problem with your working directory when running Ren'Py? I also use linux and haven't had problems with the new GUI system, but before I changed my working directory to be the Ren'Py directory, I would sometimes get errors about files not being found.
Finished games:

Karl_C
Veteran

#9 Post by Karl_C »

avidsonicfan1991 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:26 pm I get an error message saying "/usr/share/renpy/gui/game does not appear to be a Ren'Py game."!
You don't use the official Ren'Py package, but an package supplied by your distribution. Some distributions remove files while packaging Ren'Py.
Possible solution:
  • download the official Ren'Py package here (the 'tar.bz2' file)
  • extract it into a folder of your choice in your user directory (do not install in /usr/share/somewhere/xyz)
  • execute 'renpy.sh'
As the official Ren'Py package includes Python too, you don't need to install Python (or anything else). If you have Python already installed, Ren'Py will use it's own Python.