[Solved] How to change the main menu layout

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
docclox

[Solved] How to change the main menu layout

#1 Post by docclox »

I've noticed there are two main menu layouts in common use.

One of them has a list of buttons in the bottom left corner that float over the top of the menu background. Tutorial and The Question both use this layout.

The other one has a vertical menu bar down the left hand side and the image displayed to the right. I can see this in the documentation where it talks about main menu background images.

I downloaded the latest SDK and made a test project, and I get the first form with the buttons floating on the bottom right. I'd like to use the other form, but I can't seem to find the setting that changes the layout.

My apologies if it's somewhere obvious, but how do I select the layout used in the documentation screenshots?
Last edited by docclox on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

mitoky
Veteran
Projects: The Purring Demon's Love, circus eterie

Re: How to change the main menu layout

#2 Post by mitoky »

When you are creating a new project you can chose between "New GUI Interface" and "Legancy Theme Interface"

You chose the "Legancy Theme Interface". So create a new project and chose "New GUI Interface"

docclox

#3 Post by docclox »

Ah, OK. Thanks for explaining!

Can I change the theme for an existing project, or is it less hassle to create a new one and copy the files across?

Not that I have a lot to copy as yet, I'm just interested :)

[edit]

Just created a new one, and there it is all right. Funny, now I look at it again, I'm sure I went to click the new interface option. I guess I must have misclicked.
Last edited by docclox on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

mitoky
Veteran
Projects: The Purring Demon's Love, circus eterie

#4 Post by mitoky »

No problem!
As far as i know, it's easier to simply make a new project and copy/paste the script.