Actual Gameplay

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
TheChatotMaestro
Regular
Deviantart: LedianWithACamera

Actual Gameplay

#1 Post by TheChatotMaestro »

I'm using Ren'Py to do something really stupid- make a CCG.

What's a CCG? A Collectable Card Game. The focus of the game will be earning currency which you use to draw cards from a pool. Of course, I wouldn't be using Ren'Py if it had nothing to do with it- like the games it's inspired by (Love Live! School Idol Festival; Bandori! Girls Band Party; and The IdolM@ster franchise), a large part of the game will be viewing stories with the characters in visual novel form. This, plus the ease of learning Ren'Py, led me to choose it for this project.
However, there's one big drawback. Normally, this type of game is accompanied by rhythm game style gameplay, where you tap to the beat of something the characters are singing. I am 99% sure this is impossible in Ren'Py, (although there is a small theory involving lots of complex menus that don't look like menus and timers that last fractions of a second that I have and will never act on,) and so I need some other type of way to make the game enjoyable.
I can't have it be 'click button, get diamonds, use diamonds to get cards', because there's no fun or challenge in that, and it turns into a clicker game. I can't have the currency be unlimited, because then there's no exitement in scouting for the cards. What I'm looking for is any kind of decent gameplay in Ren'Py that can be relatively customized, and if possible, have some sort of 'life points' system, so you can only play it so many times in an hour or whatever have you.

Does anyone have any ideas?

mikolajspy
Regular
Completed: Too many, check signature
Deviantart: mikolajspy

Re: Actual Gameplay

#2 Post by mikolajspy »

I'd say that rhytm game is possible for 80%, but it would require a lot of programming, and I mean A LOT, if you want to have more than one button.
And that's just for mechanics, then you'd need to program gameplay/rhytm for each song to match the time.
It's not impossible, but not easy (well, rhytm game is also hard in other engines).

Hmm... I don't know if you'll find something useful in cookbook - viewtopic.php?f=51&t=18047

When talking about music game, how about something like "Guess the song?" or variation of this - "Guess the instrument" or "Guess the note"?
Let player hear some sound and choose what sound or instrument that is, if he makes mistake, -1 'life point'.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

The issue is not how hard to implement it would be - thats not as hard as it sounds just extensive.
No, the issue is that Python is simply not fast enough to handle a rhythm game.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

TheChatotMaestro
Regular
Deviantart: LedianWithACamera

#4 Post by TheChatotMaestro »

It doesn't have to be a rhythm game... Thank you for the forum link @mikolajspy ! I think I'll probably try and do some kind of battle system like one of the ones listed... I didn't think I could make it work, but now I have some ideas! :D