Sublime as Ren'Py's default editor

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
MrDowntempo

Sublime as Ren'Py's default editor

#1 Post by MrDowntempo »

Sublime text can handle Renpy easily. There's even some decent plugins for sublime to deal with Renpy's syntax. Renpy can be configured to use sublime as well, assuming sublime is the system editor. I'm setting up something a little different thoug. I'm putting an entire development environment on a single USB stick so I can take it from home to school to work and elsewhere and have everything I need with me on one drive. I would like RenPy to use the portable version of sublime that I also carry on that drive. Is it possible to configure renpy to use that specific editor? Since it is on a USB drive, the drive letter will change from device to device as well, so I'm a little stuck figuring this out.

mikolajspy
Regular
Completed: Too many, check signature
Deviantart: mikolajspy

Re: Sublime as Ren'Py's default editor

#2 Post by mikolajspy »

1) I'd reccommend using Atom. Regardless of software, you can just set it to "System editor", I don't know if there's other way.
Alternatively you can set it to "None" and open files manually.
2) Working from USB is not a great idea. Unless you treat it as a "container" and only copy from/to. Working directly on USB might one day destroy the device along with all the data, simply because of high read/save. Those devices have limited number of I/O operations, I'd be carefull with relying on that.

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

#3 Post by Zetsubou »

You would probably need to create a .edit.py file which targets the portable sublime text build, using the relative path so you don't have problems with different drive letters.
I couldn't find many examples of this. I guess the emacs example in the old Renpy docs could be adapted to work the way you want.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

#4 Post by Remix »

You *should* be able to manage it by writing a new editor_name.edit.py file, extend renpy.editor.Editor using a symlink or relative path in the self.arguments within the begin/open methods and basically sit Ren'py and Sublime together in a 'known' folder heirarchy (with a push it should even theoretically work across cloud)

Some Sublime cmd line/mac info
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

MrDowntempo

#5 Post by MrDowntempo »

Thanks, I got a .edit.py file working basically. I don't think the line arguments work yet, but I don't need that yet and if I do later I can tinker with it. But for now I'm happy! :)

henvu50
Veteran

#6 Post by henvu50 »

MrDowntempo wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:26 pm Thanks, I got a .edit.py file working basically. I don't think the line arguments work yet, but I don't need that yet and if I do later I can tinker with it. But for now I'm happy! :)
Did you ever figure this out?

I need to change the existing Atom edit.py file to point to the latest version of atom that exists in the program files folder.

OMG, python's file handling is a god damn nightmare.

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

#7 Post by Zetsubou »

The intended way appears to be for you to create a RENPY_ATOM environment variable which points to the atom .exe file you want to run.
Then Renpy should run that instead of the version it downloaded, passing it the command line arguments as needed.
You'll probably need admin privileges to do that.

Otherwise you could just modify the .edit.rpy file so instead of reading the environment variable it sets the path to some hard-coded location on your computer.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games