<<Resolved>> text over an image, not a button...

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ISAWHIM
Veteran

<<Resolved>> text over an image, not a button...

#1 Post by ISAWHIM »

I am running into difficulty trying to get text to display over an image, while within the screens.rpy format for a screen.

I have this all formatted, using hboxes and vboxes, but I can not find any way to display text over images. Setting values for absolute positions, does not work. EG, telling an image to be 0,0 and then telling text to be 0,0. The text just appends, in order, after the image. (Depending on if it is a hbox or a vbox.)

Trying to add a frame into the vbox or hbox, completely breaks the format and throws everything to the left. Same with using "fixed"... It throws everything to the left side of the screen. Even though the whole screen is told to align to the right.

This is for a calendar, which has a "Day of the week" at the top, a "Numeric day" in the middle, and a "Month name" below. All across a single image. Which should be displayed within a hbox, so it sits after an image of a giant clock.
Last edited by ISAWHIM on Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Divona
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Falconers: Moonlight
Organization: Bionic Penguin
itch: bionicpenguin

Re: text over an image, not a button...

#2 Post by Divona »

Use xoffset and yoffset?
Completed:

ISAWHIM
Veteran

#3 Post by ISAWHIM »

Divona wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:34 pm Use xoffset and yoffset?
That almost works, except that it still treats the text as if it is in the original location. Thus, since this is a right-side aligned vbox, it is now pushed away from the edge, the width of the text. But the text is not there, it is offset -100 pixels.

EG, It still thinks the text is on the right and has widened the vbox to fit the space.

So frustrating to do such simple things with this code. I just want it to work like the dialogue box. Text over an image. Two individual things, stacked one on top of another.

Divona
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Divona »

I'm still not quite see the picture of what the final result should look like. Do you have a sample image of what do you want the end result to be? For calendar, it should be something as simple as:

Code: Select all

hbox:
        fixed:
            xmaximum 192
            ymaximum 192

add "#ff0000"
            text "Saturday" xalign 0.5 yalign 0.05
            text "30" xalign 0.5 yalign 0.5
            text "October" xalign 0.5 yalign 0.95
        fixed:
            xmaximum 192
            ymaximum 192

add "#ff0000"
            text "Sunday" xalign 0.5 yalign 0.05
            text "31" xalign 0.5 yalign 0.5
            text "October" xalign 0.5 yalign 0.95
I thought.
Completed:

ISAWHIM
Veteran

#5 Post by ISAWHIM »

This is the code I am dealing with...

This aligns to the right-side, and is only present when doing navigation or basic interactions. It hides at certain times, during game-play.

There is one main vbox holding three hbox areas. (Icons), (Time/Date), (Navigation)

The (Time/Date) hbox, should have a vbox component for the vertical stacking of text/variables, [Day of week],[Numeric month/day], [Month]... or whatever order I end-up using. (Can't play with the looks, until it looks right.)

What I get is the following results, from various attempts to use code correctly. (As described or sampled.)
codebroken.jpg
The lower two options, just adding the word "fixed", breaks the whole thing... The whole lower half of the menu doesn't even show-up... The vbox with all the navigation buttons. all the "btn7.jpg", at the bottom of the code.

vbox and hbox don't even obey sizes, or size-limits, or pixel-limits... so I am not sure why they are even talked about, for use. They do work for "fixed" boxes, but fixed boxes break everything in the process, making nothing seem to work correctly.

Original code...

define groupLocation = 0
screen sideNav():
    modal False
    zorder 10
    vbox:
        xanchor 1.0
        yanchor 0.0
        xpos 1906
        ypos 14
        hbox:
            imagebutton auto "_save_%s.png" xpos 0 ypos 4 action ShowMenu("save")
            imagebutton auto "_stats_%s.png" xpos 8 action NullAction()
            imagebutton auto "_notes_%s.png" xpos 16 action NullAction()
            imagebutton auto "_settings_%s.png" xpos 24 action ShowMenu("preferences")
        hbox:
            ypos 8
            add "_clock_8.png"
            add "_calendar.png" xpos 8
            #vbox:
                #xmaximum 0
                #xoffset -100
                #text "{color=#000}WED{/color}"
                #text "{color=#000}21{/color}"
                #text "{color=#000}DEC{/color}"
        vbox:
            imagebutton auto "btn7_%s.jpg" ypos 16 action NullAction()
            imagebutton auto "btn7_%s.jpg" ypos 24 action [SetVariable("groupLocation", 0), SelectedIf(groupLocation == 0)]
            imagebutton auto "btn7_%s.jpg" ypos 32 action [SetVariable("groupLocation", 1), SelectedIf(groupLocation == 1)]
            imagebutton auto "btn7_%s.jpg" ypos 40 action [SetVariable("groupLocation", 2), SelectedIf(groupLocation == 2)]
            imagebutton auto "btn7_%s.jpg" ypos 48 action [SetVariable("groupLocation", 3), SelectedIf(groupLocation == 3)]
            imagebutton auto "btn7_%s.jpg" ypos 56 action [SetVariable("groupLocation", 4), SelectedIf(groupLocation == 4)]
            imagebutton auto "btn7_%s.jpg" ypos 64 action [SetVariable("groupLocation", 5), SelectedIf(groupLocation == 5)]
            imagebutton auto "btn7_%s.jpg" ypos 72 action [SetVariable("groupLocation", 6), SelectedIf(groupLocation == 6)]

Divona
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Divona »

Try:

hbox:
        ypos 8

fixed:
            xmaximum 192    # width of _clock_8.png
            ymaximum 64      # height of _clock_8.png

add "_clock_8.png"

fixed:
            xmaximum 64    # width of _calendar.png
            ymaximum 64    # height of _calendar.png

xpos 8

add "_calendar.png"

text "{color=#000}WED{/color}" xalign 0.5 yalign 1.0
            text "{color=#000}21{/color}" xalign 0.5 yalign 0.5
            text "{color=#000}DEC{/color}" xalign 0.5 yalign 1.0
From a quick prototype, it seems to work out fine.
Completed:

ISAWHIM
Veteran

#7 Post by ISAWHIM »

As soon as I add "fixed", anywhere inside of the main vbox, I lose all formatting for the entire screen... Everything goes to 0,0... (Every individual item... but the buttons, which still just disappear completely.)

Defeating the purpose/function of aligning it to the right-top corner. (Because it all goes to the left-top corner.)

I was avoiding manual placement, giving every element an X,Y cords, because the purpose of hboxes and vboxes, is to do this automaticly, without hard-coding redundant values. (The images X,Y and positions)

Thus, now I lose all "flow" and ability to change anything, without re-coding every individual value.

So, it looks like I will just have to do this the hard way, and figure-out where each item has to be, and never change my design... :P

Thanks for the help.

P.S. RenPy doesn't even get the actual positions right either... They don't match-up with the actual positions on a 1080p screen. They all have to be faked, to go where you actually want them... Not sure what oddity is there... floating-point issues, I assume.