Difficulty with pauses between images

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
docclox

Difficulty with pauses between images

#1 Post by docclox » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:55 am

What I want to do:

I have some title cards made up for chapter breaks and the like. So what I want to do black out the screen (that bit works then show this card:

Then I want a 5 second pause before showing a second card:

And another 5 second pause.

The problem I'm finding is that if I click past the first pause, the second card never shows. And if I wait the full five seconds, the second card does appear, but only for a split second before disappearing.

I've tried a few variations on the theme. I can put both captions onto the one card, which works fine but it's not as funny that way.

I tried showing the images individually and when that didn't work I tried using an ATL animate like the one from the tutorial. Here's the relevant code:

Code: Select all

init:
    image card space1 = "card_space1.png"
    image card space2 = "card_space2.png"
    image card space_anim:
        "card space1"
        pause 5
        "card space2"
        pause 5

label off_to_meet_vinny:
    scene dark with dissolve
    show card space_anim at truecenter 
    with dissolve
    pause 5

scene bg spacepod 
    with dissolve
That's two pauses at the end there, and neither of them are taking effect. I expect that I'm missing something basic. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

[edit]

It also works just fine if I show the images separately, rather than in the ATL block, and if I use a pause without a parameter. It's as if the timeout flag from the first pause is still set when the second one starts...

Divona
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Falconers: Moonlight
Organization: Bionic Penguin
itch: bionicpenguin

Re: Difficulty with pauses between images

#2 Post by Divona » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:43 am

Is this what you're after?:

Code: Select all

image dark = "#000"
image card space1 = "card_space1.png"
image card space2 = "card_space2.png"

label off_to_meet_vinny:

scene dark with dissolve

show card space1 at truecenter with dissolve
    pause 5.0

show card space2
    pause 5.0

scene bg spacepod with dissolve
If you want the pause to be unskipable, you can replace "pause 5.0" with "$ renpy.pause(5.0, hard=True)".
Completed:

ISAWHIM
Veteran

#3 Post by ISAWHIM » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:44 am

I think the on dissolve and following pause 5 is the issue...

The animation is running independent of the outside limits... (What called the animation)

Thus... You PLAY the animation, and it is waiting for the exterior PAUSE 5 to expire... The interior pauses are not click-through, or they are, but the exterior pause has ended, and it ends the animation.

Try the exterior pause at 10 or 15 seconds. The click may still default to SKIPPING at the exterior pause, skipping the second frame if it has not shown yet.

docclox

#4 Post by docclox » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:04 am

Divona wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:43 am
If you want the pause to be unskipable, you can replace "pause 5.0" with "$ renpy.pause(5.0, hard=True)".
I want them to be able to click through it. What I could do is take the timeout away entirely. That works, but I worry that people might not realise a click was needed. That said, I always click if things seem to slow down, but I'm not sure how universal that is.

The code fragment is pretty much what I had, or one version of what I had. I didn't use a floating point timeout though, so that might be worth a check.
ISAWHIM wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:44 am
The animation is running independent of the outside limits... (What called the animation)

Thus... You PLAY the animation, and it is waiting for the exterior PAUSE 5 to expire... The interior pauses are not click-through, or they are, but the exterior pause has ended, and it ends the animation.
That sounds plausible. I'll try that. Thanks!