<<Solved>> Change values for the unnamed "narrator"

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ISAWHIM
Veteran

<<Solved>> Change values for the unnamed "narrator"

#1 Post by ISAWHIM »

I realize that the "narrator" uses the generic values for text-boxes (say windows)...

This does not work... From this page https://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/FA ... rration.3F

Code: Select all

define NARR = Character(
    what_font="DomCasual BT.ttf",
    what_color="#000000",
    what_xsize=784,
    what_size=28,
    what_justify=True,
    what_xpos=390,
    what_ypos=890,
    window_background=bgnarr)
$ narrator = NARR
Nor does this...

$ narrator = Character(
    what_color="#000000",
    what_xsize=784,
    what_size=28,
    what_justify=True,
    what_xpos=390,
    what_ypos=890,
However, to remove oddities with custom-boxes conflicting with the default settings, I have neutralized the settings to essentially zero-out all values. So, when I tell something to go to xpos and use xanchor, etc... it is not going there, from some odd location. (Essentially ending-up nowhere near the desired location it is told to go.)

So...

The last thing I can't seem to locate custom values for, for individual editing which is independent of the core-values, is the "narrator".

He pops-up when you use quotes without a name-ID. All other windows and text-boxes, etc... have been "fixed", so far.

I remember that some things could be accessed by using "renpy.Narrator()", or something like that. However, I can't locate the pages where I found that once before. (I am sure it was in a forum posting, not the help-files.)

I have my own narrator setup... NARR, which, if I can, use to set the same values for the "renpy.Narrator".

Unfortunately, if I set the boxes to look good, by altering the other base-values, it breaks everything-else.

Would I be able to make-up an accessible "style" of values for him?

ISAWHIM
Veteran

Re: <<Solved>> Change values for the unnamed "narrator"

#2 Post by ISAWHIM »

Found a post that put it into "init python"... Can't use the defined duplicate NARR values, because they are not set at that point. So, I just set it up with "narrator" as the base values first. I don't think "None" is actually needed anymore.

init python:
    narrator = Character(None,
        what_color="#000000",
        what_xsize=784,
        what_size=28,
        what_justify=True,
        what_xpos=390,
        what_ypos=890,
Finally... That was the last thing I had to change. YAY!

You should see fewer posts from me, for a while. However, now that they exist, maybe google will find them better. (I am sure I will run into these issues again.)

Divona
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Falconers: Moonlight
Organization: Bionic Penguin
itch: bionicpenguin

#3 Post by Divona »

Narrator is a character, you can still define them like other characters:

define narrator = Character(
    what_font = "DomCasual BT.ttf",
    what_color = "#000",
    what_xsize = 784,
    what_size = 28,
    what_justify = True,
    what_xpos = 390,
    what_ypos = 890,
    window_background = bgnarr
)
Completed:

ISAWHIM
Veteran

#4 Post by ISAWHIM »

I didn't realize that.

He should put that in the default project, with all possible attributes... even if they just reflect default settings. Just so people know how to do it, and that it is possible for the "narrator".

Instead, we get a freaky named girl, hard-coded into the program. "Eileen". :P (Should have been "PyTom".)