Problems with NVL Clearing and Readback in Ren'Py 6.99.13

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Vaccean
Projects: "Anamnesis, of Renascents and Monsters"

Problems with NVL Clearing and Readback in Ren'Py 6.99.13

#1 Post by Vaccean »

As somebody else mentioned, apparently the change to clear NVL-mode text blocks conflicts with this old readback functionality:
https://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/co ... xt_History

This had a strong negative impact on my game, causing all text to be cleared immediately. As it stands, this problem prevents me from updating to the latest version of Ren'Py.

Now, the issue compounding my problem is that my game has been in continuous development since before 2010, when many of the newer GUI functionalities were not even implemented in the new projects by default. The game doesn't even have a "gui.rpy" file, so I'm not really sure if there is even a way to implement the new history function without basically starting a new project and moving all the content there.

Getting rid of the readback feature fixes the problem, but this is a pretty useful tool for my players because the project is a complex simulation game, so I'd like to explore my options before either removing that feature entirely or deciding to stick to Ren'Py 6.99.12.4.

Therefore, my question would be the following: Is there a feasible way to implement the new default text history in older Ren'Py games or otherwise a way to disable the new conflicting NVL clearing?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Problems with NVL Clearing and Readback in Ren'Py 6.99.13

#2 Post by PyTom »

Yes, if you read the documentation for the new history it should just work.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Blake337

Re: Problems with NVL Clearing and Readback in Ren'Py 6.99.13

#3 Post by Blake337 »

PyTom wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:54 pm Yes, if you read the documentation for the new history it should just work.
Sorry to necro, but I'm having this exact issue with an old project of mine. I'm only finding the old documentation. I know new renpy projects come with history pre-installed but I'm having a hard time copying it over. Is there any pastable code to easily add history to old projects?