How to Change Fonts

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
dIgItayel
Regular

How to Change Fonts

#1 Post by dIgItayel »

I wanted to change the game's default font to Capsuula, a font I downloaded online. It's installed on my computer, but I don't know how to get it into renpy nor do I know how to edit the script so that the default font is Capsuula.
Any help is appreciated :)

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: How to Change Fonts

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Capsuula is free for commercial use, so there's no problems using it, but I cannot find information on embedding.

I'll assume distribution is allowed, but you will want to check and you may be required to include the creators name in your credits.

Anyway, you simply need to copy the .Capsuula.ttf file to somewhere inside your game folder.
Then, in options.rpy, or maybe gui.rpy, find the line that says define something something font = "fontname.ttf"
Change the font name to capsuula.ttf and you're done. Remember Ren'Py is case-SeNsItIvE
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Soliloquy
Regular

Re: How to Change Fonts

#3 Post by Soliloquy »

In addition to what Imperf3kt said, make sure that your file is indeed a .ttf and not a .otf. Ren'Py is pretty finicky about the latter and often doesn't recognize it. I nearly tore my hair out over that some time back.