image inference not working in renpy.show()

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ISAWHIM
Veteran

image inference not working in renpy.show()

#1 Post by ISAWHIM »

As it is understood, by documentation, RenPy does a form of "best fit", and "seek and find", for displaying images.

This works for many, many, many instances, but it fails in others.

One specific instance is when I am using renpy.show(myImage)

With images named "home garage 2" and "home garage"... If I ask it to display "home garage 1", it kindly displays "home garage", as expected.

In the sample on the help page, asking it to display "mary happy", it will display "mary night happy", because "mary night sad" is shown, and "mary night happy" is the other defined image.

My issue is with this statement not displaying any image...
Image name "home garage fred parking v1.jpg"
Trying to get it to show, using renpy.show("home garage fred"), or "home garage fred parking"... But it does not display anything. (Missing image)

Yet, above, I can leave-out the "1" from "home garage", and it loads that image.

How can I get it to load images that "fit best", instead of just failing to load anything at all?

Also, mixing words does not work... searching for "home fred garage" will not find "home garage fred". I assume the first word is a "key", and the other words are intended to be "tags", because images both named "home something" and "home something-else", one will replace the other, since both are essentially "home" images, and the other words are just tags/variations.