audio channel missing from video

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
DirkB
Regular
Projects: 7th Goddess
Tumblr: 7thgoddess-vn

audio channel missing from video

#1 Post by DirkB »

Hello. I am new to Ren'Py and so far I was able to solve anything myself, but now I am really stuck.

I want to have a video play in loop, giving me the option to add dialogue while the video is playing.

I followed this guide: https://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/co ... ackgrounds

I use VSDC Video Editor for making a movie. The movie itself plays normally if I just add it as a normal movie.

I added a silent mp3 file in VSDC and made sure it plays the whole movie (only 11 seconds).

On the Video Editor screen it mentions that there's an audio track with codec PCM signed 16-bit little-endian.

I know Ren'Py only accepts certain types of video and audio but I am really not sure what is the issue here now.

Thanks for any help!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: audio channel missing from video

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

You need to tell us what is wrong, more descriptively. Does it not play any audio at all? Does it not play the additional noises? Does it crash?
Does your sound channel not appear inside the video container?

Right now all I know is you made a video and it plays and you have a silent audio file to go with it which appears to be your mp3 file being converted into LPCM wav
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

DirkB
Regular

#3 Post by DirkB »

While playing the story, I get the following message when arriving at the point where the video should play:
Exception: Audio channel u'moviefirstdream' is unknown. (see also attachment)

So it doesn't play anything this way.

In Ren'Py I did the following:

line 16 image moviefirstdream = Movie(size=(960, 640), xpos=0, ypos=0, xanchor=0, yanchor=0)

line 258 play moviefirstdream "firstdreamdonothing.webm" loop
line 259 show movie with dissolve

I can play the video without loop if I just use a command like this $ renpy.movie_cutscene('moviefirstdream.webm'). So I am assuming that the video file itself is ok. However for using it with a loop, it seems you need to add a silent music channel to it. I thought that's what I did, but it keeps repeating that audio channel is unknown.
Attachments
videoaudiotrack.png
exception.png

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

Ok now I see.
You just need to add the audio to the video and play the video. No other special requirements.

Renpy will determine how to loop the video, from the audio present in the video.
Either add the audio when creating the video, or after via a process known as muxing.

I can give examples later if required, but I am.not at my computer right now and do not expect to be for at least several hours. Maybe 10 hours or so.

Twitter

DirkB
Regular

#5 Post by DirkB »

Ok. Thank you for the replies.

I don't quite understand what you mean by adding audio to the video. I already added an mp3 file to the video in VSDC Video Editor. See the other attachment in previous message where it mentions video and audio codec.

I could look for some muxing software and try to combine it this way also. I will sleep now.

EDIT: When I make a new project in VSDC Video Editor it's like there's already an audio channel associated with it. Because both video and audio codec are listed in the source files (as in the attachment above). I tried MP4muxer but it doesn't seem to work with webm files. This is now the first time that I miss Tyranobuilder. I could just add a video backdrop in a few seconds without any hassle :(

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

Code: Select all

image moviefirstdream = Movie(size=(960, 640), xpos=0, ypos=0, xanchor=0, yanchor=0)

play moviefirstdream "firstdreamdonothing.webm" loop
show movie with dissolve
This code is wrong, as you're using three unrelated things.

What you want to do is to just use the Play parameter to the movie, and then show the movie. Ren'Py will automatically take care of playing the movie, and it will loop as well.

Code: Select all

image moviefirstdream = Movie(play="firstdreamdonothing.webm")

label start:
    scene moviefirstdream

"The movie is playing, and will loop forever."

hide moviefirstdream

"And, it's done."
As of recent Ren'Py versions, you don't need the audio channel anymore. (But it won't hurt anything either.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

DirkB
Regular

#7 Post by DirkB »

Awesome! That did it!

Thanks a lot!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Imperf3kt »

PyTom wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:29 am As of recent Ren'Py versions, you don't need the audio channel anymore. (But it won't hurt anything either.)
Very handy to know, thanks PyTom

Twitter