Game won't start

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
CheekyMoomoo

Game won't start

#1 Post by CheekyMoomoo »

I just finished making a VN for my friend's birthday. Or so I thought. When I went to check over the game again it wouldn't start up. It was fine when I was in game, and it can load up old save files no problem, but every time I click start I get the following text file:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 256, in script
python:
ScriptError: could not find label 'start'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\bethh\Documents\Other stuff\renpy-6.99.12.4-sdk\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 295, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "C:\Users\bethh\Documents\Other stuff\renpy-6.99.12.4-sdk\renpy\main.py", line 487, in main
run(restart)
File "C:\Users\bethh\Documents\Other stuff\renpy-6.99.12.4-sdk\renpy\main.py", line 147, in run
renpy.execution.run_context(True)
File "C:\Users\bethh\Documents\Other stuff\renpy-6.99.12.4-sdk\renpy\execution.py", line 761, in run_context
context.run()
File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 256, in script
python:
File "C:\Users\bethh\Documents\Other stuff\renpy-6.99.12.4-sdk\renpy\script.py", line 858, in lookup
raise ScriptError("could not find label '%s'." % str(original))
ScriptError: could not find label 'start'.

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 6.99.12.4.2187

If anyone knows how to fix this please help me, I'm really new to Ren'py so I have no idea what I did.
Extra information if this helps: I forgot to play the game from the start before exporting, but I'm getting this issue on both the export and the actual file. I'm also using Windows 10.
(Also may be a while before I respond, I've been trying to get this to work all night and I need to sleep right now. Thank you so very much if you help though <3)

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Game won't start

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

The most common reason I see that causes this is a duplicate label name somewhere.

Check your script for duplicates and make sure you aren't using any special names that renpy already uses.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

CheekyMoomoo

#3 Post by CheekyMoomoo »

I just doubled checked my script and even renamed my labels to random sentences and still get the same error. Gonna try and reconstruct the game piece by piece and see where the problem crops up from but if you've any other ideas they'd be super helpful. Thank you!

CheekyMoomoo

#4 Post by CheekyMoomoo »

Okay I've fixed it, it was something really dumb (I forgot changing the first label from anything that isn't "start" would affect the game, haha")

Seems like a perfect mistake that only I could make!