Python_callback triggering jumps... help!

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
8bitRainbow

Python_callback triggering jumps... help!

#1 Post by 8bitRainbow »

I have been at this for 2 days, searched everything I could think of on the forums and tried every result that came close with no success. Hoping someone can help me crack this code.

My intent is to have a continuous check on an NPC's stress level which will lead to an automatic jump to a predetermined "freak out" label if their stress is too high. I've been able to get the python_callback to work for keeping track of stat updates behind the scenes but creating a label jump is stumping me.

Here's my initial method under the NPC class I've created, the one being checked:

Code: Select all

def jumpcheck(self):
            if self.stress > 2 and self.flight > self.fight:
                renpy.jump(self_leaves)
            elif self.stress > 2 and self.fight > self.flight:
                renpy.jump(self_explodes)
            else:
                renpy.notify("That didn't work")
Here is where the callback takes place (in my test example I'm using NPC "m"):

def run_jumpcheck():
        try:
            b1.jumpcheck()
            d.jumpcheck()
            m.jumpcheck()
        except:
            renpy.notify("Nothing's working")

config.python_callbacks.append(run_jumpcheck)
I test this by setting up a series of choices that increase m's stress (adding to either fight or flight mode depending on the stress type). Once m.stress is above 2, I want an automatic jump to take us to a scene of her either exploding (fight) or leaving (flight).

For a while my renpy.notify was showing "Nothing's working" the entire trial, but I've gotten it to a point where it'll show "That didn't work" for the first two choices (where stress is less than 3) and then switch to "Nothing's working" after that. So I know it's trying to work and I can't figure out why it's backing out once the jump becomes possible.

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

Re: Python_callback triggering jumps... help!

#2 Post by Remix »

How and where are self_leaves and self_explodes defined?
Have you tried the conditional tests with notify rather than jump?
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

8bitRainbow

#3 Post by 8bitRainbow »

In the instance of the desired jump for my test example, the labels after start in the game are m_leaves and m_explodes. I'm not sure if I set it up correctly because I'm still learning but my aim was to pass NPC "m" into the name of the label while the callback is checking m.jumpcheck().

Likewise, if NPC "d" or "b1" were at the necessary level of flight stress to pass as true, the automatic jump would be to "d_leaves" or "b1_leaves", with labels already set up for both occurrences.

For your second question, do you mean having it notify me if the conditions are met rather than trying to jump? So far I've only started using notify to let me know when things are failing.

**Update: Ooh, okay, I just tried replacing the jumps with renpy.notify to see if the code was even getting that far and it is! So that's great news, that must mean I'm just not coding the jump correctly.

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Remix »

I would strongly suggest setting .leaves and .explodes as attributes of the character classes rather than as global/local variables, then within the method you could use self.leaves and it would evaluate to whatever string that instance held.
This is why I asked about 'self_leaves' which I presume you want to magically transform suddenly into 'b_leaves' if the class instance global variable name happens to be b... (that can be done by iterating the vars() global, testing each versus self and taking the key... who wants to bring their game to a crawl just because they need to iterate a few thousand variables though... hence, no sample posted)

Basically you want something of the fashion:
b = SomeClass( name="Bob", leaves="a_leave_label", explodes="explode_label", ... etc )
have the class set those parameters as attributes ... self.leaves = leaves
then within the method access them as self.leaves etc (self.leaves would then be "a_leave_label" )
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

8bitRainbow

#5 Post by 8bitRainbow »

I think I understand most of that and it sounds like a good option, only how to I activate the jump to label? While testing my code some more, I attempted to set up a non-variable label - just a standard renpy.jump(m_leaves) and it failed. When I had notify as the end result, I was notified that everything works up to that point. If a jump is there in its place, the jump should be reached. Instead it makes everything stop working.

I've seen examples in this forum of jumps happening from within python functions so I have no idea why my version isn't working.

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Remix »

The syntax is renpy.jump( "label_name_as_quoted_string" ) as far as I remember

Without quotes it would be looking for a global variable with that name
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

8bitRainbow

#7 Post by 8bitRainbow »

I finally figured it out. Had tried it quoted and not, jump and call, every which way with no success. But I just took the "try, except" element out of it and brought the main function out of the NPC class system, set it up directly with the NPC "m" and it worked! I guess it was having trouble passing an NPC in from self.

Here is the working code:

def m_jumpcheck():
        if m.stress > 4 and m.flight > m.fight:
            renpy.jump("m_leaves")
        elif m.stress > 4 and m.fight > m.flight:
            renpy.jump("m_explodes")
        else:
            pass

config.python_callbacks.append(m_jumpcheck)
Simple is beautiful lol