How to have padding for side images, but not for narration

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
delenir

How to have padding for side images, but not for narration

#1 Post by delenir »

I've been fiddling with this all night and can't come up with a working solution...

So I can definitely get side mages working, complete with the left padding adjustment to make room for the picture. But my issue is when you have the "narrator" saying something (ie: no picture or title) all the text is still offset and looks misaligned as a result.

I've tried a few different things, including trying to make a character called narrator / nr that has no title, no image, and attempts to override the left padding back to normal... but to no avail.

Usually it crashes, but oddly enough when I added left_padding="165" to a character's statements as an experiment (among other variables for the number), it didn't crash but it also didn't change anything for their dialog.

Essentially I'm seeking a way to be able to control when the text is offset to allow room for the side image, and when it uses the full width with no side image.

Thank you to all who reply or even read this post :)