How to make the players cursor move?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
trashtank
Tumblr: trashtank

How to make the players cursor move?

#1 Post by trashtank »

Hi there, I tried to find answers for this through online searches but I couldn't quite find what I'm looking for. What I'm hoping to achieve is basically to have two choices on screen, with the cursor automatically pulling towards one of the choices so as to make the other more difficult to select. The user would be able to push against this, but it would reinforce a sense of it being an effort to make the choice they actually want to make. The best example of this I can find is this clip from Doki Doki Literature Club.https://youtu.be/QGMfy7zWp_4

Is this something that can be done? I would appreciate any answers or suggestions you can offer.

Thank you for reading!

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

Re: How to make the players cursor move?

#2 Post by DragoonHP »

Well you can move the mouse using (I'm not sure what you mean by pulling; can't see the video)

Code: Select all

renpy.set_mouse_pos(x, y, time)
Replace x, y with the position/co-ordinates where the mouse should move to and time with how much time it should take the cursor to reach the provided co-ordinates.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#3 Post by Donmai »

I believe the game uses a python routine which checks the y position of the cursor and then forces it to move to the desired position. If the player manages somehow to click on an "undesired" option, then the game may "crash" (a fake glitch). That's very well done. I'm noticing several questions in this forum section related to DDLC programming tricks and special effects. Ren'Py game of the year, I guess.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

trashtank
Tumblr: trashtank

#4 Post by trashtank »

Thanks very much for your answers! I've made a note of it. I appreciate it a lot! :)