Trying to mod dialogue in DDLC

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
KayPibbz

Trying to mod dialogue in DDLC

#1 Post by KayPibbz »

I'm not a very computer savvy guy, but I took it upon myself to try and mod some of the dialogue in Doki Doki Literature Club, which is built off Ren'Py. I have never modded a game before and I have only a little experience coding. The problem is I can't seem to access the game dialogue using Ren'Py. So far I've moved the Doki Doki Literature Club folder to the renpy directory and can see it appear under "Projects" in renpy. With other projects I'm able to access character lines by clicking 'script.rpy', 'all script files', or 'extract dialogue'; however, these options don't seem to work with DDLC. 'script.rpy' is grayed out and can't be clicked, 'extract dialogue' doesn't seem to do anything, and clicking 'all script files' gives me numerous files with code apparently from the game, but it doesn't look like it includes any character lines.
I'm very sorry for coming to the forum for what is likely a trivial issue, but I really want to get this project underway and don't know where else to look.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Trying to mod dialogue in DDLC

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

DDLC has been archived so that method won't work.
On the website, where Dan Salvato mentions the rules to modding DDLC, does he include any files or information?

I have not persued this myself but I assume, since he has allowed modding, that he has detailed how to do it, somewhere.

script.rpy is grayed out in the launcher because there is no such file in the DDLC folder.
Last edited by Imperf3kt on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Trying to mod dialogue in DDLC

#3 Post by Donmai »

Imperf3kt wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:29 pm I have not persued this myself but I assume, since he has allowed modding, that he has detailed how to do it, somewhere.
Yes, Dan wrote detailed instructions which can be found here: http://teamsalvato.com/ip-guidelines/
Well, KayPibbz, it seems that, by following the guidelines, you can create a modded version of DDLC and distribute it (for free, of course) even if you make use of the game's original assets. If you only want to modify the dialogues (creating new scenes or giving the player more time with the girls, for example) than maybe that's okay. You would only need to work with the scripts.rpa contents.
Problem is if you don't know how to extract the game assets and archive then again properly (as it seems you can only distribute the modified assets to be installed over an "official" copy of DDLC, not a complete new version of the game) then you're out of luck.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)