Error on running .exe

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Dharker
Regular

Error on running .exe

#1 Post by Dharker »

Hello,

One of my games has had an error reported, but I have been unable to replicate the error myself, normally when an error is reported i can easily get to the bottom of it or recognise the issue. But in this case i am drawing a blank. This so far has only affected one person most seem to play the game without issue.

Anyway upon running the exe file they get an error message, the traceback.txt then shows this:
While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00updater.rpy", line 23, in script init -1500 python in updater:
File "renpy/common/00updater.rpy", line 32, in <module> import urllib
ImportError: WSAStartup failed: error code 10107.
Has anyone encountered this before or can tell why one person is getting this issue?

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Error on running .exe

#2 Post by Donmai »

I remember a similar error message being discussed in Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/app/301380/d ... 300461620/
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Error on running .exe

#3 Post by PyTom »

Note that 6.99.13.1/6.99.14 (whatever I decide to call it) will come with official ssl support. It also seems really weird to mix the updater and Steam together, and the updater doesn't support SSL in any case. Could this be a mod?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom