NVL won't go away!?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
IchihashiMaiden
Projects: Be A Good Boy (Otome) ; Iliad (VN)
itch: IchihashiMaiden

NVL won't go away!?

#1 Post by IchihashiMaiden »

I feel really bad about having to ask for help so much, but yup, here's another issue I'm having.

So early in my VN, I include a disclaimer, because I'm basically remaking the Iliad by Homer, and it contains a lot of... unpleasant content.
At the end of the disclaimer, I give the option to continue or quit (because I'm really nice), and I got that working fine. I'm able to get through the scene with no issues, but then when I move to scene 2, which features a narration over basically a slideshow (mainly because I have no idea how to do an action scene in a visual novel).
What ends up happening, however...

Here's the code for the disclaimer:

Code: Select all

nvle "{color=#f4f4f4}{size=+5}Please be aware that the following story may not be suitable for children."
    nvle2 "{color=#f4f4f4}{size=+5}Nothing was taken out if the Iliad contained it."
    nvle2 "{color=#f4f4f4}{size=+5}This means what you are about to read includes examples of"
    nvle2 "{color=#f4f4f4}{size=+5}racism,{w=.5} sexism,{w=.5} slavery,{w=.5} murder,{w=.5} kidnapping,{w=.5} and aggressive language."
    nvle2 "{color=#f4f4f4}Do you wish to continue anyway?"

define menu = nvl_menu

menu:
        "Continue Story" if not continue_story:
            jump continue_story_choice
        "Quit Story" if not quit_story:
            jump quit_story_choice

label continue_story_choice:
    $ continue_story = True

"{color=#FFD13A}{cps=15}{i}Sing, O Goddess,{w=.3} the anger of Achilles,{w=.3} son of Peleus,{w=.3} that brought countless ills upon the Greeks.{/cps}"

And then, the narration.

"Not a word he spoke as he went to the shore, to the edge of the sea, and prayed to the lord Apollon, son of the ever-lovely Leto."

show ChrL_flip at sloweaseinright

C1 "Hear me,{w=.3} O God of the silver bow,{w=.3} he who protects Chryse and Cilla,{w=.3} he who rules Tenedos with a warrior's might."
    C1 "Hear me,{w=.3} O God of Sminthe!{w=.3} If I have ever decked your temple with garlands,"
    C1 "or burned thighbones in your name in the fat of bulls and goats,{w=.3} grant my prayer."
    C1 "Let your arrows avenge my tears, and plague the Greeks for their crime against me!"

hide ChrL_flip at sloweaseinright
    show bg_mountdown
    hide bg_beach

nvle2 "{color=#FFD13A}{cps=15}{i}Thus he prayed, and Apollo heard his prayer. Down from the peaks of Olympus he strode,{p=.3}angered at heart, bearing on his shoulders his bow and covered quiver.{p=.3} The arrows rattled on the shoulders of the angry god as he moved, like that of the rage that was within his heart.{p=.3} He sat himself down away from the ships, with a face as dark as night, and let an arrow fly."
    nvle2 "{color=#FFD13A}{cps=15}{i}Terrible was the twang of the silver bow as it rang death among them. The mules he assailed first and the swift hounds, but then on the men themselves he aimed,  and let fly his stinging shafts, and constantly the pyres of the dead burned thick.{/color}"

# Here, the scene is text while Apollon comes off the mountain
# This is follows by flashes of silver arrows zipping across black.
# Text appears over the animation
I tried putting "nvl clear" before the nvl menu, which moved "Continue Game" and "Quit Game" up at the top of the screen, yet still didn't remove it during the narration.
I tried putting it after the nvl menu, and the disclaimer is still there during narration, and it was even still there when I put "nvl clear" right before the next scene.
I have no idea what I'm doing.
(Character in icon belongs to nomnomnami on itch.io)

Soliloquy
Regular

Re: NVL won't go away!?

#2 Post by Soliloquy »

Huh, that's weird. I played around with it a bit in a new project and got it to clear fine. nvl clear is just above the "Continue Story" menu. Take a look and see what I have that might be different.

define nvle = nvl
define nvle2 = nvl

nvle "{color=#f4f4f4}{size=+5}Please be aware that the following story may not be suitable for children."
    nvle2 "{color=#f4f4f4}{size=+5}Nothing was taken out if the Iliad contained it."
    nvle2 "{color=#f4f4f4}{size=+5}This means what you are about to read includes examples of"
    nvle2 "{color=#f4f4f4}{size=+5}racism,{w=.5} sexism,{w=.5} slavery,{w=.5} murder,{w=.5} kidnapping,{w=.5} and aggressive language."
    nvle2 "{color=#f4f4f4}Do you wish to continue anyway?"

define menu = nvl_menu

nvl clear

menu:
        "Continue Story" :#if not continue_story:
            jump continue_story_choice
        # "Quit Story" if not quit_story:
        #    jump quit_story_choice

label continue_story_choice:
    $ continue_story = True

"{color=#FFD13A}{cps=15}{i}Sing, O Goddess,{w=.3} the anger of Achilles,{w=.3} son of Peleus,{w=.3} that brought countless ills upon the Greeks.{/cps}"

"Not a word he spoke as he went to the shore, to the edge of the sea, and prayed to the lord Apollon, son of the ever-lovely Leto."

return

Also, don't feel bad asking for help. That's what we're here for. I have 70-odd posts, and most of them have been me asking for assistance also. :oops:

IchihashiMaiden

#3 Post by IchihashiMaiden »

It just hit me that you defined nvl differently from how I did. Could that be the issue? It's likely I completely misunderstood the defining process.

define nvle = Character(_("Disclaimer"), color="#c8ffc8", kind=nvl)
define nvle2 = Character(_(" "), color="#c8ffc8", kind=nvl)
(And now that I think about it, I'm not sure why I defined a color, then changed that color in the "dialogue" area xD)

IchihashiMaiden

#4 Post by IchihashiMaiden »

That must have been it!! I was going to say it didn't work, because whenever I went to the Quick Load to skip the dialogue up to the narration point, it still showed the disclaimer..
But then I realized that even after I swapped out my definition for yours, it still said "Disclaimer" on that screen, despite it not saying that on the actual disclaimer anymore.
I'm not sure what the deal is with that, but I started a new game and zipped through all the dialogue, and bam, there was the golden narration, right at the top of the screen, as it should be!

Thanks so much! (I wonder why the previous saves caused this...)