[Nevermind] "\n" broke my game? (Could not find return label - start.py)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
IchihashiMaiden
Projects: Be A Good Boy (Otome) ; Iliad (VN)
itch: IchihashiMaiden

[Nevermind] "\n" broke my game? (Could not find return label - start.py)

#1 Post by IchihashiMaiden »

I finally got the narration NVL to work, and I felt like the lines were too squished together. The text didn't fill the page, and it was a bit hard on the eyes to have it so close together.
So I did some looking around, and found a thread on here with a few suggestions on how to put more space between lines. I ended up deciding to just use "\n" to very lazily break up the lines myself, at the potential cost of it looking weird on a screen larger (or smaller) than the one I'm working with.

Well, I did that, and when I reloaded the game, I got this:

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 120, in script
    return
Exception: Could not find return label (u'C:\\Users\\MizukiUkitake\\Documents\\RenPy\\MyGames\\Pseudoliad/game/script.rpy', 1512999577, 20).

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 120, in script
    return
  File "C:\Users\MizukiUkitake\Documents\RenPy\renpy-6.99.13-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 1400, in execute
    next_node(renpy.game.context().lookup_return(pop=True))
  File "C:\Users\MizukiUkitake\Documents\RenPy\renpy-6.99.13-sdk\renpy\execution.py", line 586, in lookup_return
    raise Exception("Could not find return label {!r}.".format(self.return_stack[-1]))
Exception: Could not find return label (u'C:\\Users\\MizukiUkitake\\Documents\\RenPy\\MyGames\\Pseudoliad/game/script.rpy', 1512999577, 20).

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.99.13.2919
Pseudoliad 1.0
The ONLY thing I changed was putting \n in the middle of a dialogue sentence. However, even when I took it out, it still gave me that error. I don't see how one little thing could have broke everything, and there's no other possible cause that I can think of. I haven't messed with any files other than script.rpy.
Last edited by IchihashiMaiden on Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea what I'm doing.
(Character in icon belongs to nomnomnami on itch.io)

IchihashiMaiden
Projects: Be A Good Boy (Otome) ; Iliad (VN)
itch: IchihashiMaiden

Re: "\n" broke my game? (Could not find return label - start.py)

#2 Post by IchihashiMaiden »

Reloaded it a few more times, same result. I closed the game completely, and launched it again, and suddenly it works fine. Also, \n did nothing for me. Still have no idea how this happened, but it's fixed now, so it's whatever I guess. NVL really hates me for some reason.
I have no idea what I'm doing.
(Character in icon belongs to nomnomnami on itch.io)