Making textbox appear using newer version

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
sonorousgem
Regular

Making textbox appear using newer version

#1 Post by sonorousgem »

When using Ren'Py about a year ago, I distributed Valentine's Rush. While trying to make an updated version, my computer crashed and I decided to work on the project again recently with a new computer and a new version of Ren'Py.
I can't remember what version of Ren'Py I'd had before, but I believe it was between 6.10 and 6.15... So the textbox and dialogue were set to 800x600. I've set the newer version to be the same dimensions (despite the 16:9 ratio) and copied the old game and options (and most of the other) files to make it look virtually the same.
Now the issue is getting the dialogue to its former position... Instead of being in a normal place, the dialogue is scrunched at the top and there appears to be no textbox.
like so
like so
I'm obviously no expert, but I don't know how to change it or make the textbox appear, even though there *is* a textbox in the gui file. I'm not sure where in the script files I can look to make this change, or if I should add something.
Any help is much appreciated! Thank you.

nature1996
Regular

Re: Making textbox appear using newer version

#2 Post by nature1996 »

You could probably figure out what version you where using from the original game, I believe the ren'py version is always noted somewhere. Then you could use that article https://www.renpy.org/dev-doc/html/changelog.html to figure out what function have changed since then.
Je parle aussi français