Is it possible to change the space between paragraphs in NVL mode?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Lochana
Projects: Touhou - Reimu's day out! (Won't see the light of day probably)
Github: lochana-Dineko

Is it possible to change the space between paragraphs in NVL mode?

#1 Post by Lochana »

I'm working on a visual novel, and I decided to use NVL mode for the introduction segment. The problem I'm having is the space between paragraphs

I found this code in the documentation:

Code: Select all

init python:
    style.nvl_vbox.box_spacing = 10
I thought that this code might be able to change the space between paragraphs and make it "0". So that there would be no space left between new NVL lines, but it doesn't seem to work.

Can anyone help me with this?

Dravencour

Re: Is it possible to change the space between paragraphs in NVL mode?

#2 Post by Dravencour »

Hi there! As someone just getting into Ren.Py and NVL myself, I was having a few problems with just what you're talking about.

The way that Ren.Py's NVL format is set up normally, each paragraph in NVL (that is, each major section of text that you put in quotes) functions more or less like an ADV text box, which is limited to around four lines per box using default settings without running over, making for some pretty wonky-looking paragraph spacing based on how many lines of text the paragraph took up. Thankfully, there's a rather simple way to get around this state of affairs.

You will want to get into gui.rpy and change gui.nvl_height to "None". This will allow the textboxes that NVL uses for paragraphs to dynamically adjust their height based on how large the paragraph is, so you won't have to deal with large spaces beneath single-line paragraph textboxes or smaller spaces beneath multiline paragraph textboxes, as well as allowing you to write paragraphs with more lines than the standard ADV textbox limit.

Once that's done, you'll want to mess around a bit with gui.nvl_spacing, which defaults to 10. Depending on the font you are using, how large you want your text to be and your general paragraph preferences, you may want the value a little higher in order to put some spacing in between your paragraphs. I generally prefer an nvl_spacing value of 20 for working with Palatino Linotype or Deja Vu Sans.

Dimorphodon

Re: Is it possible to change the space between paragraphs in NVL mode?

#3 Post by Dimorphodon »

Thank you; this was helpful for something I was working on!