This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:57 am
- Projects: Bondage Island, Lucretia's Legacy
In Python 3.6...
object.variablea += max ((object.variableb - 7) / 5, (object.variableb - 10) /2)
variablea is a float equal to 0.0
variableb is an int equal to 11
so, (11-7) / 5 = .8, and (11-10) / 2 = .5, so the whole expression evaluates to .8 and variablea ends up being .8 at the end.
In Ren'py (current version), inside a python block and a function, however, variablea ends up being 0.0. And evaluation in the console shows that
(11-7) /5 = 0 (integer 0) -- that is, for the version of Python in Ren'py it returns an integer rather than a float. Why is this?
(The fix I found is to change 5 to 5.0, and 2 to 2.0, which makes both expressions return floats as intended. But that wasn't necessary when I was running the whole thing through Python directly.)
- Eileen-Class Veteran
- Posts: 1017
- Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 6:10 am
- Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
- Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game
General advice is to do as you likely are and convert each value to a float before doing the sum...
value = float(a) / float(b)
Python 3 made it a lot more sensible
- Finish Improved Event Handler
- Implement DragonBones animation as a Creator Defined Container
- Finish Catmull-Rom Spline pathing
- Finish Bitmask collision and rebound vector system
- Develop time based building mechanic
- *Find a superb artist and actually write a game*
Users browsing this forum: No registered users