How do I make non-rectangular hotspots?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
dIgItayel
Regular

How do I make non-rectangular hotspots?

#1 Post by dIgItayel »

I'm using imagemaps to make hotspots, and it just occurred to me that not all of my hotspots should be rectangular. How do I make a non-rectangular hotspot?

mitoky
Veteran
Projects: The Purring Demon's Love, circus eterie

Re: How do I make non-rectangular hotspots?

#2 Post by mitoky »

As far as i know (if someone knows better, feel free to correct me) you cant do that. You can use imagebuttons instead.

Ocelot
Lemma-Class Veteran
Github: MiiNiPaa
Discord: MiiNiPaa#4384

#3 Post by Ocelot »

You can do it the same way as in imagebuttons]:
Documentation wrote:Imagemap

The imagemap statement is used to specify an imagemap. It takes no parameters, and the following properties:

<SKIPPED>

alpha
    If true, the default, a hotspot only gains focus when the mouse is in an area of the hover image that is opaque. If false, the hotspot gains focus whenever the mouse is within its rectangular boundary.
< < insert Rick Cook quote here > >

dIgItayel
Regular

#4 Post by dIgItayel »

mitoky wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:24 am As far as i know (if someone knows better, feel free to correct me) you cant do that. You can use imagebuttons instead.
Unfortunately, I know basicaly nothing about imagebuttons. Could you point me towards a good tutorial?
Thanks!

mitoky
Veteran
Projects: The Purring Demon's Love, circus eterie

#5 Post by mitoky »

dIgItayel wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:12 pm
mitoky wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:24 am As far as i know (if someone knows better, feel free to correct me) you cant do that. You can use imagebuttons instead.
Unfortunately, I know basicaly nothing about imagebuttons. Could you point me towards a good tutorial?
Thanks!
I think this one is very good:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=22565

Remember to download from here:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=22565&start=75#p455107