How do I center page text in NVL format?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Dravencour

How do I center page text in NVL format?

#1 Post by Dravencour »

So I've been watching some playthroughs of Fate/Stay Night and Higurashi, both VNs that use NVL format, and I've noticed this thing that they like to do. In situations where there isn't enough text to fill the entire screen on a page, sometimes they'll center the text that does get used on the page on the screen. A good example of what I'm talking about is in the opening scene of Fate/Stay Night, which has Shirou finding himself the only survivor of his burned out hometown, and which can be found here.

Currently, when I go for just a few lines or paragraphs a page in an NVL script, they're always at the top margin which leaves a lot of empty space under the text, and thus I typically have to write paragraph after paragraph to fill the entire screen. Not an ideal situation.

Basically I want to know how to be able to center page text when doing NVL pages.