Glitch/VHS/CTR effects on Renpy?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Sixteenth
Tumblr: alienfelthuman
Soundcloud: alienfelthuman

Glitch/VHS/CTR effects on Renpy?

#1 Post by Sixteenth »

So, straight to the point, I want to know if it is possible to apply a glitch/VHS and/or CTR effect to the whole screen, even affecting text/textbox.

So far, I've tried to search some info and stuff, but I really couldn't find anything apart from the simple static noise effect, which is not what I'm really looking for. I'm kind of familiar to Renpy, almost 2 years using, same with Python in general, though I sincerely can't think of a way to achieve what I need.

Anyways, thanks for reading and I'd appreciate if someone could help me out or give me some little insight.
WebsiteSoundCloudTumblr

+ ali3nn +
Regular

Re: Glitch/VHS/CTR effects on Renpy?

#2 Post by + ali3nn + »

Sixteenth wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:11 pm So, straight to the point, I want to know if it is possible to apply a glitch/VHS and/or CTR effect to the whole screen, even affecting text/textbox.

So far, I've tried to search some info and stuff, but I really couldn't find anything apart from the simple static noise effect, which is not what I'm really looking for. I'm kind of familiar to Renpy, almost 2 years using, same with Python in general, though I sincerely can't think of a way to achieve what I need.

Anyways, thanks for reading and I'd appreciate if someone could help me out or give me some little insight.
this is a year old post, and i hope my reply doesnt go unseen. best bet you can do is by atl. animations and such.

Sixteenth
Tumblr: alienfelthuman
Soundcloud: alienfelthuman

#3 Post by Sixteenth »

+ ali3nn + wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:53 am this is a year old post, and i hope my reply doesnt go unseen. best bet you can do is by atl. animations and such.
Yes, I figured that ATL was the thing I needed, but I still haven't figured out how to make it affect the whole screen. If I ever make it, I'll probably make a thread about it. Thanks, anyway!
WebsiteSoundCloudTumblr

Tayruu
Regular

#4 Post by Tayruu »

Your best bet would probably be to make hand-made glitch images and animate them in various ways as a screen-sized ATL animation. You would have to however make these images static, making different sets of glitches for different scenes. If you want them to be dynamically generated based on the screen's content, that might be a bit harder.

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

#5 Post by isobellesophia »

Just to be clear, the higher quality of the animation may break sometimes.. so it is better to low it as much as it take.
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.