Hiding the dialogue box when opening a screen

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
LilStevie

Hiding the dialogue box when opening a screen

#1 Post by LilStevie »

I'm using the code from this tutorial (viewtopic.php?t=23071) to incorporate an inventory into my game. The system works well, though there's one issue I'm having at the moment. The following is the code for the Show Inventory button that displays the inventory interface:

Code: Select all

screen inventory_button:
    textbutton "Show Inventory" action [ Show("inventory_screen"), Hide("inventory_button")] align (.95,.04)
While this displays the inventory just fine, it also leaves the main dialogue box visible. I'd rather have it so that once the Show Inventory button is clicked, the dialogue will disappear until the user closes the inventory again. I've tried adding several variations of 'Hide(window)' to the action part of the Show Inventory button to fix this, but nothing I do seems to work. Is there a specific command I need to include that I don't know about?

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

Re: Hiding the dialogue box when opening a screen

#2 Post by Remix »

The simplest way is probably by using ShowMenu rather than Show

textbutton "Show Inventory" action [ ShowMenu("inventory_screen") ] align (.95,.04)

Note though, that your 'Close Inventory Afterwards' button will want to use "action [ Usual Actions, Return() ] " in order to automatically bring back the dialogue once done.
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

LilStevie

Re: Hiding the dialogue box when opening a screen

#3 Post by LilStevie »

Works like a charm. Thank you!