Custom textbox width issues?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
LumiNinja
Tumblr: LumiNinja
Deviantart: LuminousIceNinja

Custom textbox width issues?

#1 Post by LumiNinja »

Hi, I'm super new here, but I think I'm in the right place to ask? I've made a custom textbox for a game that I made sure to save as having a width of 720px, but when I've booted the game up, the textbox is just centered and clearly not the right width to fill the bottom part of the window. I've gone through the screens and gui menus, tried changing padding, xalign, yalign, etc to absolutely no success. Since tutorials for this sort of thing seem to only apply to legacy versions of Renpy now, I haven't had any luck trying to follow along with those. If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be incredibly helpful!

-Lumi
textbox-book.png
Screenshot 2018-01-17 19.40.57.png

erickcire95
Regular

Re: Custom textbox width issues?

#2 Post by erickcire95 »

What is exactly what you are looking for? Do you want the textbox to fill the window's width? If that's the case, then you are making it shorter than needed, your game's window is not 720 pixels width.

Open your gui.rpy file, around line 12 there is

Code: Select all

gui.init(X,Y)
the "X" here is the number of pixels width of your game. that's the width you are looking for, not 720px.
So you'll have to re-make the textbox with the same width as your game window.

LumiNinja
Tumblr: LumiNinja
Deviantart: LuminousIceNinja

Re: Custom textbox width issues?

#3 Post by LumiNinja »

erickcire95 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:33 pm What is exactly what you are looking for? Do you want the textbox to fill the window's width? If that's the case, then you are making it shorter than needed, your game's window is not 720 pixels width.

Open your gui.rpy file, around line 12 there is

Code: Select all

gui.init(X,Y)
the "X" here is the number of pixels width of your game. that's the width you are looking for, not 720px.
So you'll have to re-make the textbox with the same width as your game window.
Thank you so much for the assistance! Got the width/height mixed up, problem solved!