Circular Save/Load Screenshots - Can it be done?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

Circular Save/Load Screenshots - Can it be done?

#1 Post by sasquatchii »

Hello!

I am working on coding a UI into a game and am doing the save / load screens - here's a screenshot of the mockup that was handed over to me:

My question is, is it popular to create circular screenshot save files in game in Ren'Py, the way it has been mocked up on this image? I have only ever done rectangular screenshots - so if anyone knows if it is possible, or not possible, I would greatly appreciate being told!

Thank you for reading! Any ideas or thoughts would be a huge help :)
ImageImage

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Circular Save/Load Screenshots - Can it be done?

#2 Post by Donmai »

You can try applying an alpha mask to the thumbnails. See this thread for some ideas:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31574
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

Re: Circular Save/Load Screenshots - Can it be done?

#3 Post by Zetsubou »

You could also use two images to achieve this.
Leave the thumbnail as a rectangle, then have another image displayed over the top of it with a transparent circle.
So it looks like a circular image, but it's actually two rectangular images, with the bottom one only visible through the transparent circle in the top one.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games