Skipping to dialogue on a timer, and character movement

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PinkPanzer

Skipping to dialogue on a timer, and character movement

#1 Post by PinkPanzer »

Hey guys making a little game for some friends and had two questions.

1. How do I set it up so if the player idles on a certain line of dialogue it skips him to a new one? I have a timer set up but it seems to not be doing anything, and the one I found seems built for menus. I basically want it so if you sit on a certain dialogue line too long it jumps to a little easter egg scene and when that finishes, brings you back as if nothing happened.

Slightly related, I wanted to make it so an image switches to others while it's sitting there. It's going to be sorta like Doki Doki Literature Club like I'm sure a bunch of you know of already, where the character portrait 'glitches' as its sitting there. I have an image for unglitched and an image for glitched, but I also thought I'd set that on a timer to keep switching back and forth.

2. How do I make a character slide around? I know how to make them move around on show, like to enter the scene, but I'm a bit lost on how to make them either leave the scene in a certain direction or move around during dialogue. For instance, a character is at the center of the screen, and slides to the left when another one takes center spot.

PinkPanzer

Re: Skipping to dialogue on a timer, and character movement

#2 Post by PinkPanzer »

Fraid I gotta bump this since I never got an answer and I'm still lost here.

solarProtag
Regular
Completed: http://solarprotag.weebly.com/gamedev.html
Projects: Battle Live Series
Tumblr: solarasketchbook
itch: solarprotagonist

Re: Skipping to dialogue on a timer, and character movement

#3 Post by solarProtag »

Hi there, I have a quick answer for your second question!

For the example you mentioned
For instance, a character is at the center of the screen, and slides to the left when another one takes center spot.
you would do something like this!

Code: Select all

show Character at center
chara "some dialogue you want to have them say"

show Character at left with move
show NewChara at center with moveinright
The "movein__" transformations are exactly what they sound like; your image moves into the screen from whatever side you specify (the renpy doc has every version of this in detail.)
There's also the "moveout__" transformations which do the opposite.

Or if the character that takes the center spot is already shown, you can just use the move transformation instead.
I highly recommend giving the Transitions page on the docs a read, it even mentions transition families to customize your own versions of these transitions.