Can't load .rpyc archive

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
koppien

Can't load .rpyc archive

#1 Post by koppien »

Hey, so I've been making a mod recently and releasing demos - I've always done the same for each demo; used rpatool to create a scripts.rpa with all the needed scripts (and images.rpa/audio.rpa if needed) and simply put it up for download. It's worked for the 2 past demos I've released, apart from now.

I'm getting this traceback -

Code: Select all

While running game code:
Exception: Could not load from archive credits.rpyc.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Doki Doki Literature Club\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 295, in bootstrap
    renpy.main.main()
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Doki Doki Literature Club\renpy\main.py", line 364, in main
    renpy.game.script.load_script()  # sets renpy.game.script.
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Doki Doki Literature Club\renpy\script.py", line 265, in load_script
    self.load_appropriate_file(".rpyc", ".rpy", dir, fn, initcode)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Doki Doki Literature Club\renpy\script.py", line 667, in load_appropriate_file
    raise Exception("Could not load from archive %s." % (lastfn,))
Exception: Could not load from archive credits.rpyc.

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.99.12.4.2187

I read that as it can't load the rpyc (which I could be mistaken, as I'm relatively new to this).
I've tried recompiling all the scripts in ren'py, which didn't work.
I've made numerous different .rpas with slight change I thought might help.
Nothing so far has helped, and I really have to release this demo soon.
(btw, this isn't just for credits.rpyc, this is for every single .rpyc in the scripts - if I get rid of credits, it'll just move onto the next one.)
Thanks for any help, it's appreciated!

Night Hacker

Re: Can't load .rpyc archive

#2 Post by Night Hacker »

I realize this is an old post, but this came up when I was searching for the answer. Well, I didn't find the answer, but I figured it out on my own. The problem seems to be with the nightly builds, and since you used 7.6.1 in 2018, and the release version in 2022 at this time is 7.4.1, that means you also used a nightly build.

The problem went away for me when I switched back to the latest RELEASE version. I normally only use the release, but somehow I accidentally installed the nightly build, which for me was 7.5.0 and this problem came up.