Trading/ Collectible Card like Game for Ren'py?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
biensoftworks
Projects: Candy Powder Cafe
Organization: biensoftworks
Soundcloud: urtypicalotakunerd
itch: biensoftworks

Trading/ Collectible Card like Game for Ren'py?

#1 Post by biensoftworks »

Greetings to everyone here in this forum!

I'm kinda new for the new programming system for Ren'py so I'm just curious.

Is it possible to make a trading card/ collectible card style game for Ren'py. For example like Fate: Grand Order, Love Live: School Idol Festival and Idolm@ster: Cinderella Girls. If so, is there a code or framework for it? I want to study it as well.

I know this is the mainstream framework of Japanese mobile games these days but for people to collect artworks in game is actually a nice concept, especially if it relates to the main gameplay.

Hoping for your suggestions and replies ^u^

-Bien

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Trading/ Collectible Card like Game for Ren'py?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

A word of caution: do not consider making it commercial. An international law was very recently passed that classes such games as gambling and makes for a very messy headache for the developer.

This law hasn't yet ruled microtransactions as gambling, but its currently a very hot topic in the industry.

See this article for a better explanation.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -addiction

And yes, Ren'Py could do that.
Last edited by Imperf3kt on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Inksword
Regular
Tumblr: inksword

#3 Post by Inksword »

Imperf3kt wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:02 am A word of caution: do not consider making it commercial. An international law was very recently passed that classes such games as gambling and makes for a very messy headache for the developer.
Only if they have to pay actual money for booster packs or whatever. The game itself can still be commercial as long as the trading cards themselves are not microtransactions. Something like the original GBC Pokemon Trading Card game would not count because no real money goes into it. So if they like the format/mechanic they can still do a trading card thing.

Though likely the time and money it would take to create lots and lots of artwork for the TCG it probably wouldn't be worth it unless it's monetized.

There's also the option of simply not releasing it in countries where it would be a problem.

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by philat »

I haven't played it, but there's at least one commercial ren'py game with CCG elements that I know of. http://www.winterwolves.com/pscd.htm

biensoftworks

#5 Post by biensoftworks »

Imperf3kt wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:02 am A word of caution: do not consider making it commercial. An international law was very recently passed that classes such games as gambling and makes for a very messy headache for the developer.

This law hasn't yet ruled microtransactions as gambling, but its currently a very hot topic in the industry.

See this article for a better explanation.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -addiction

And yes, Ren'Py could do that.
Thank you for this information! I was unaware of all of this things!

Actually. I don't plan of having any microtransactions in the game or anything. I just like games being basic with no money involved, that's how games should be (sorry, I kinda think retro).

I don't have an example in mind right now but the game I'm envisioning is just the player collects cards along the story line since I think collecting artworks is a great concept (I think I stated this is my first post)

I also plan to make it an offline game since here in my country, internet speeds are really low so most people can't play online games, except when they are in a PC rental shop. And also, good games should be offline since patches, DLCs and multiplayer systems aren't good elements of games (for me though, since I kinda think retro).

Well going back, I'll just rephrase my question...

"I saw that it's possible to make a trading card game for Ren'py so is there a way to make it offline, free from online contents and no microtransactions involved?"

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

I'm not entirely sure how you intend to handle the trading part without the internet.
But in any case, sure. Its adding the internet and microtransactions thats harder.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Inksword
Regular
Tumblr: inksword

#7 Post by Inksword »

The solution I would have would be to have NPCs to trade with. Take the pokemon games, you can trade with your friends, but just to keep the theme of trading with people to complete your collection, there were a few npcs around that would trade pokemon with you. Often they'd be trading rare pokemon and for some it was the only way you could get that pokemon.

You can implement to your game in a few ways I think.

1. Static NPCs, with static trades. Easy to program and balance, but the players will eventually exhaust them and run out of trades.
2. Static NPCs, with changing but specific trades. NPCs that have a random trade each day that picks a random card to offer and a random card to want. Might lead to nonsensical trades though, or days where the trade is terrible offer and players have to wait until the next day for another trade.
3. A ranking system for cards that allows you to automatically trade cards of a certain value for cards of another value. 3 commons = 1 uncommon. Can make the cards feel more like currency however.

You can kinda mix and match techniques (maybe each NPC has their entire deck up potentially for trade, but what they are trading each card for changes) or create a haggling system to make the NPCs seem more like people, but programming is a challenge you'll have to overcome.

biensoftworks

#8 Post by biensoftworks »

Inksword wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:41 pm The solution I would have would be to have NPCs to trade with. Take the pokemon games, you can trade with your friends, but just to keep the theme of trading with people to complete your collection, there were a few npcs around that would trade pokemon with you. Often they'd be trading rare pokemon and for some it was the only way you could get that pokemon.

You can implement to your game in a few ways I think.

1. Static NPCs, with static trades. Easy to program and balance, but the players will eventually exhaust them and run out of trades.
2. Static NPCs, with changing but specific trades. NPCs that have a random trade each day that picks a random card to offer and a random card to want. Might lead to nonsensical trades though, or days where the trade is terrible offer and players have to wait until the next day for another trade.
3. A ranking system for cards that allows you to automatically trade cards of a certain value for cards of another value. 3 commons = 1 uncommon. Can make the cards feel more like currency however.

You can kinda mix and match techniques (maybe each NPC has their entire deck up potentially for trade, but what they are trading each card for changes) or create a haggling system to make the NPCs seem more like people, but programming is a challenge you'll have to overcome.

Oh! This is a wonderful idea! But I'm not actually sure if I can create NPCs in a visual novel format, and if so, there will be a lot. Maybe I can make the game's traversing to different places like the Phoenix Wright games and trading cards with people around the area.

Though to give my idea all the way, the "cards" that the player will be collecting are girls with different card types like a Normal, Rare, Super Rare and Super Super Rare (similar to Love Live: School Idol Festival and Idolm@ster) and once the player collects them, it raises their stats (like attack and defense etc.). Then on those cards that the player collects, there will be an event triggered with each card depending on the type. This is where the visual novel part will commence.

I don't know if I explained my idea clearly (I suck at explaining) but that's what I have in mind about this collecting game. I could also implement a battle system if possible to test the stats the player gains from the cards.