Question about a menu with multiple pages

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Suu

Question about a menu with multiple pages

#1 Post by Suu »

Hello, I have a question about making a dynamic menu that spans more than one page.
This is our example menu;

Code: Select all

menu:
	"choice1:
		bla
	"choice2:
		bla
	"choice3:
		bla
	"choice4:
		bla
	"next page":
		bla
	"return to main menu":
		bla
And imagine that all the choices have a condition that makes them appear. I want this menu to be limited to 6 choices, and always keep that number unless the next page is empty. So, when choice 3 disappears due to conditions and it becomes unclickable, user will see

choice1
choice2
choice4
next page
return to main menu
As options. However I want the topmost option from the next page, that is choice5 to appear visible here to keep the amount of options at 6.
So it should become

choice1
choice2
choice4
choice5
next page
return to main menu
Any ideas on how I can do this? I'm really stuck here

Empish
Veteran
Projects: Efemural Hearts, It Ends With Graduation
itch: empish

Re: Question about a menu with multiple pages

#2 Post by Empish »

To me, it looks like you would need to modify the choice screen in screens.rpy to get your desired behavior. How familiar are you with screen language?

Suu

Re: Question about a menu with multiple pages

#3 Post by Suu »

Not at all, I'm completely new to ren'py
But if that's where I need to make modifications on I'll take my time to get familiar with it