[Solved...I <3 PyTom] Question regarding DLC/Added Content

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
SypherZent
Veteran
Completed: Multiverse Heroes, Space Hamster in Turmoil

[Solved...I <3 PyTom] Question regarding DLC/Added Content

#1 Post by SypherZent »

Hello,

I have a question regarding added content.
I would like to release a game, and later, release new adventures, the way Hearthstone used to sell adventures and all associated cards in a bundle.
Each adventure had a bit of story, and brand new content.

However, I am using SpriteManager and each character is defined as its own class.
If a player had Saved at end game, loading the new Sprites does not update into their save file.

It there an easy way to allow Ren'Py to do this, or should I simply program my own Save/Load functionality?
Would that even solve the issue, or do I need another way to tell Ren'Py to use new sprite classes for existing save games, without coding them into the original game?

Thanks, couldn't find this info out there, sorry if a thread exists ( please link, if so :) ).

If it helps, the way I discovered this is that, I actually have to do a full New Game run for every new character I code.
I have 65 characters remaining, and I would like to cut down on required time to complete each character, so I can do more per day.

By being able to progress through the game, as opposed to doing New Game and constructing each character on the very 1st map, it would allow me to continue working in parallel, by developing the storyline and loading up existing saves to continue testing, as I progress through the game.

Perhaps I'm missing something, or doing something wrong in terms of sprite class definitions?

Any help is appreciated. ^^

EDIT: I just had a breakthrough idea, but what if I define empty sprite classes, to be reserved, so I can upload Ren'Py scripts with new code for the sprite classes, that would already exist as placeholders? :O

SOLVED: PyTom, I can't express how much love I have for you. Not in a sexual way. This is coming from a totally different chakra.
The breakthrough method works. Empty sprite class. Code it into the game with reserve spots (i.e. If char is A, use sprite A, down to as many as you want).
You can even rename the Sprite in the update to something entirely new. Load game works absolutely perfectly.
I am going to post a tutorial of my experience in a couple of weeks.
Thank you so much PyTom for over a decade of polish and for providing this Engine. <3
Creator of Multiverse Heroes & Space Hamster in Turmoil

Want me to code your game?
Check my services thread!