Ren'Py 6.99.14.1 Prereleased

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Ren'Py 6.99.14.1 Prereleased

#16 Post by PyTom »

6.99.14.1.3194)

I've just updated the prerelease channel. There are three changes:

* The GL Powersave setting is now enabled by default. With some other changes (showing multiple frames before slowing down), there shoudn't be any affect on actually perceived performance, and the new default should be nicer on laptop fans. It can be turned off on the shift+G menu if you'd like, for the purposes of benchmarking Ren'Py's framerate.

* ConditionSwitch prediction has been fixed.

* Imagemap caching has been disabled. This is different from image caching - what imagemap caching was to combine all the button states of an imagemap into a single (smaller) image. This had been interacting poorly with another change, because it required hitting the disk, something that's no longer allowed during image prediction. (Due to it being slow, and causing frame drops.)

And that's it. I feel this is getting close to becoming a point release.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#17 Post by trooper6 »

Hi PyTom!
I'm back from my conference. I downloaded the prerelease and loaded up my game with it...not using the code to increase image cache or anything like that...just the basic code with the new pre-release. It looks great! There is no slowdown or stuttering. Everything is smooth and wonderful. This means that I can get back to finishing this game after sooooo long. Thank you so much!! You are a peach!

What exactly did you do to make it so marvelous?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#18 Post by Arowana »

Thanks for the updates, PyTom! ConditionSwitch prediction is working much better now. :) Some of my images are still not being predicted, which I think is related to this. With all the recent improvements to image prediction, do you have any plans to allow prediction for a call followed by a return in the future?

In my particular case, the code I use to show certain backgrounds is repetitive, so I've put it inside a label that I call whenever that background is shown. Something like this:

Code: Select all

label forest_background:
    # code to show all the images that make up the background
    return

label scene1:
    call forest_background
    with transition1
    "I'm walking through the forest."
    # other stuff

label scene100:
    call forest_background
    with transition2
    "I'm walking through the forest again."
    # other stuff
It sounds like this prevents prediction of the background images unless I put an interaction inside the "forest_background" label. However, I'm not sure what interaction I can put there that won't disrupt the background transition. Does that make sense? Let me know if you have any ideas, and thanks!
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

#19 Post by Zetsubou »

Arowana wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:19 am With all the recent improvements to image prediction, do you have any plans to allow prediction for a call followed by a return in the future?

In my particular case, the code I use to show certain backgrounds is repetitive, so I've put it inside a label that I call whenever that background is shown. Something like this:

It sounds like this prevents prediction of the background images unless I put an interaction inside the "forest_background" label. However, I'm not sure what interaction I can put there that won't disrupt the background transition. Does that make sense? Let me know if you have any ideas, and thanks!
Do you really need call statements to construct your images? I don't know what you're doing to make the background exactly, so I don't know if this will help, but if you just want to overlap some images, or add animation, you should be able to do something like:

image forest_background:
  contains:
    "forest" #BG image
  contains:
    "bird" #show a bird on top of the BG up the top right
    xpos 1800
    ypos 100
  contains:
    "mole" #show a mole zoomed out slightly, on the bottom, slowly moving left and right in a loop
    zoom 0.8
    yalign 0.9
    linear 1 xoffset 10
    linear 1 xoffset -10
    repeat
and then use a plain old "show" statement, like with any other image.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#20 Post by PyTom »

Arowana wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:19 am Thanks for the updates, PyTom! ConditionSwitch prediction is working much better now. :) Some of my images are still not being predicted, which I think is related to this. With all the recent improvements to image prediction, do you have any plans to allow prediction for a call followed by a return in the future?
We've been predicting that for some time, now. I just tried out:

label showbg:
    scene bg whitehouse
    return

label test:

"..."

call showbg
    show eileen happy

"... done."

label start:
    "..."

$ renpy.jump("test")

return
And it predicted both bg whitehouse and eileen happy. Could you be running past the 32-statement prediction window? Maybe try bumping config.predict_statements up and see if that helps? If not, I'd appreciate a small demo showing the problem, so I can work it out. We should be predicting calls.

(The call to renpy.jump intentionally breaks prediction, so I have time to hit f4 to show the screen.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#21 Post by Arowana »

PyTom wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:50 pm Could you be running past the 32-statement prediction window? Maybe try bumping config.predict_statements up and see if that helps?
I think this was the real issue! I doubled config.predict_statements to 64, and now most of my background images are being caught. Thanks so much for the suggestion. :D
Zetsubou wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:49 am Do you really need call statements to construct your images?
Thanks for trying to help. :) I actually have to show different parts of the backgrounds on different layers and set up 3D camera stuff, so unfortunately I can't do it in a single image. I wonder if that's why I was running past the default prediction window before - too much stuff going on in those labels. :oops:
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)