Ren'Py 6.99.14.1 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Ren'Py 6.99.14.1 Released

#1 Post by PyTom »

I've released Ren'Py 6.99.14.1, a release focused on improving Ren'Py performance (both perceived and actual) by improving image prediction. This is done in a number of ways, such as reducing unnecessary locking, reducing memory usage by reducing duplication and only storing non-transparent portions of the image in memory, increasing the amount of memory used for by the image cache, and more.

This release returns the framerate behavior to that in 6.99.13 and earlier, where Ren'Py will slow down how quickly it updates the screen when nothing changes. It also includes other improvements and fixes.

Please see the 6.99.14 release notes for what's new in that recent release.

Downloads of 6.99.14.1 can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/release/6.99.14.1

A full list of changes to Ren'Py can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/changelog.html

A list of changes that may require you to update your game can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/incompatible.html

Please also check out the credits and sponsor list.

This release is dedicated to the memory of SusanTheCat.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Nikolai

Re: Ren'Py 6.99.14.1 Released

#2 Post by Nikolai »

Thank you so much for your hard work, PyTom. I wish I were more experienced and talented, and could put this tool to endless use in gratitude. Your generosity and support of this community are inspiring.

ISAWHIM
Veteran

Re: Ren'Py 6.99.14.1 Released

#3 Post by ISAWHIM »

I am having an issue with the latest build... (On Windows 10 distribution-builds) {Running the "compiled" file, not the file from the launcher}

Running in 4K, full-screen (non-windowed), the mouse is unresponsive. The hourglass (thinking) cursor keeps flashing, persistently and intermittently, while attempting to move the mouse to quit or change the settings.

How do I roll-back to a version that didn't do this? The prior version didn't do this.

Also, the default project, when compiled, does not show the background color or the missing image placeholder silhouette Eileen. It is just a full black screen, unlike how it looks when you run it directly from RenPy Launcher. Odd that it is compiling differently then what is being compiled from the launcher.

1: Create a new project
- Name: "test"
- Resolution: 1920x1080
- Colors: Default

2: Delete persistent (with test project selected)

3: Force recompile (with test project selected)

4: Build distributions (with test project selected) {or just run the project. Sometimes the project will not show the mouse-lag.}
- uncheck Macintosh x86_64
- Select "Build"

5: Extract the archive and run the test.exe

6: Go to "Preferences" and select "Full-screen" (on a 4K monitor)

7: Try to move the mouse... it jitters along, painfully, skipping large chunks of the screen, if you can even see the mouse. (It will disappear at times, completely unseen at the current location, but it will still highlight things it rolls-over.)

--------------------

My OS is Windows 10 (64 bit)...
I have no virus scanner running...
My CPU is a 7980xe with 18 cores and 36 threads...
My video-cards are Titan-Xp's (2 of them) and one Titan-X...
My Drives are all SSD's 4TB...
My RAM is 64GB DDR4...
My monitor (actually a TV), is a HDMI-2, 4K, 60 Hz, 60-inch screen...

It's not a hardware issue.