BUG: Last choice menu Side Image Portrait flashes on-screen after fade-in/fade-out

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
opaopa13

BUG: Last choice menu Side Image Portrait flashes on-screen after fade-in/fade-out

#1 Post by opaopa13 »

I'm experiencing a minor graphical problem which I believe may be the result of a bug. A little context: My game ends with a fade-to-black, followed by a fade-in on a final splash screen (which depends on the user's actions over the course of the game). There's a pause after the fade-in, then the words "THE END" appear as narrated text.

There's just one problem: when THE END is about to appear, the main character's side portrait flashes on screen for just one second. It seems to fade in with the textarea on the bottom, then vanishes again as soon as the fade-in is complete.

I've determined the bug is somehow related to choice menus and transitions. The expression that's used matches the portrait used for the most recent choice menu. The bug doesn't appear if I jump to the ending sequence before the first choice menu, but does appear if I jump immediately after the first one. Likewise, the bug does not occur if I remove the fade-out/fade-in transitions.

Here's what a typical choice menu invocation looks like for me:

Code: Select all

player eyebrowroll "...what should I do..."

menu: 
        player "{cps=0}...what should I do...{/cps}"
        "Proceed with the experiment.":
            jump proceed_experiment
        "Cancel the experiment.":
            jump cancel_experiment
...and here's how I'm setting up my characters/images/transitions:

define player = Character("Main Character", image="pc", color="#6000A9", what_font="DejaVuSans.ttf", callback=player_voice)
    define friend = Character("Friend", image="f", color="#8A74C1", what_font="fonts/PTMono.ttc")
    define centered_text = Character(None, image="narrator", what_xalign=0.5, what_text_align = 0.5, what_yalign=0.5)    

image black = Solid("#000")
    define fade_out = Fade(1.2, 0.6, 0, color='#000')
    define fade_in = Fade(0.0, 0.6, 1.2, color='#000')
...and here's a simplified version of the ending sequence:

scene black with fade_out

if ending == "good":
        scene good_ending with fade_in
    if ending == "bad":
        friend "This is not the true ending!"
        scene bad_ending with fade_in

pause 3.0
   # BUG: player side portrait appears here for an instant
   centered_text "{size=40}{k=+2}{cps=*0.2}THE END{/cps}{/k}{/size}"
Can someone confirm that this is a bug? Is there a workaround for it in the meantime?

Thank you very much for any help!

opaopa13

Re: BUG: Last choice menu Side Image Portrait flashes on-screen after fade-in/fade-out

#2 Post by opaopa13 »

I have replicated this bug in a minimal game and attached it to this forum post, in case that helps.
Attachments
ChoiceFadeGlitch.zip
(693.42 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

IrinaLazareva
Veteran
Projects: Legacy
Organization: SunShI

Re: BUG: Last choice menu Side Image Portrait flashes on-screen after fade-in/fade-out

#3 Post by IrinaLazareva »

Confirm. It's bug. In only newest version (6.99.14.1).
I'm test it also on version 6.99.12.3 and there is no problem.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom