Delay on video playback?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Amie
Regular

Delay on video playback?

#1 Post by Amie »

Hi everyone! When I use a movie in my game, there's a small delay before it plays, so for example if I transition to a movie backdrop, for a split second you'll see the transparent background before the movie starts playing, meaning I can't get a smooth transition into the movie, is there any way around this? Perhaps a way to preload videos so they play instantly when called or something like that?

Thanks in advance fro any help :)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Delay on video playback?

#2 Post by PyTom »

I'll look into preloading videos and audio at some point, but for now, 6.99.14.1 should help with this some. You might also want to put the movie on top of a background of the first frame, which you'll see instead of the movie until it's loaded.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Amie
Regular

Re: Delay on video playback?

#3 Post by Amie »

That's great to know! Thanks PyTom! :D