Is There a Limit on the Number of If Statements?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
RoboKnight

Is There a Limit on the Number of If Statements?

#1 Post by RoboKnight »

So in the beginning of my game, I have several...safety barriers...in order to prevent people from naming themselves certain things (aka my friend input the N-word when he playtested my game for the first time) and some easter eggs if friends of mine input their (very specific) nicknames. I end up with 5 (only 4 will be shown so I don't have a bunch of expletives here) If statements, but after the third If statement, all my other conditions go straight to said third If statement. Here is my code:

Code: Select all

label start:

scene bg black

label game_start:

$ player_name = renpy.input("What is your name?", length=14)
    $ player_name = player_name.strip()
    $ player_name = player_name.upper()
    if player_name == "ARTHUR":
        "Ah, so perhaps you remember...But nevermind that."
    if player_name == "":
        "You do not remember your name? Then you shall be granted one that may spark your memory..."
        $ player_name = "Arthur"
    if player_name == "JADE", "BRAD", "BRIAN", "PHIPPEN", "SHARON", "STUDENT":
        "Sincere apologies, but that name is already taken."
        jump game_start
    if player_name == "BOMBERBLU":
        "Try again, Ben."
        jump game_start
If I input "bomberblu", then the response I receive is "Sincere apologies, but that name is already taken." Is there a way to get around this? Changing the last three If statements to "elif" doesn't change anything.

IrinaLazareva
Veteran
Projects: Legacy
Organization: SunShI

Re: Is There a Limit on the Number of If Statements?

#2 Post by IrinaLazareva »

try

elif player_name == "":
        "You do not remember your name? Then you shall be granted one that may spark your memory..."
        $ player_name = "Arthur"
    elif player_name in ["JADE", "BRAD", "BRIAN", "PHIPPEN", "SHARON", "STUDENT"]:
        jump game_start
    elif player_name == "BOMBERBLU":
        "Try again, Ben."
        jump game_start
https://docs.python.org/2/tutorial/intr ... html#lists
https://docs.python.org/2/tutorial/cont ... statements
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/conditio ... -statement

RoboKnight

#3 Post by RoboKnight »

IrinaLazareva wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:13 am try

elif player_name == "":
        $ player_name = "Arthur"
    elif player_name in ["JADE", "BRAD", "BRIAN", "PHIPPEN", "SHARON", "STUDENT"]:
        jump game_start
    elif player_name == "BOMBERBLU":
        "Try again, Ben."
        jump game_start
https://docs.python.org/2/tutorial/intr ... html#lists
https://docs.python.org/2/tutorial/cont ... statements
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/conditio ... -statement
Like I've mentioned, using "elif" does nothing (sorry for the late reply, I didn't see it)

Draziya
Regular
Completed: this was for you. [NaNoRenO 19], Acetylene [AceJam19], Ah!! My Roommate is a Succubus Hellbent on World [MonJam 18], I Don't Have A Clue [QRMJam 18], Cautionary Tale [NaNoRenO 18], OP Dodge Cross [GGJ 18], Acetone [AceJam 18]
Projects: I'm a love interest in my childhood friend's reverse harem!!
Organization: Watercress
itch: Drazillion

#4 Post by Draziya »

Whether elif does or does not do anything doesn't really matter, in this case. Irena put square brackets around the Jade, Brad etc statement, which should fix the problem.

When I was doing my own testing with your code, I too, found out that the problem was with that particular if statement. It meant that even if I didn't input a name, it still said it was already taken! I fixed it with a similar solution (using normal brackets not square)

RoboKnight

#5 Post by RoboKnight »

Draziya wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:56 am Whether elif does or does not do anything doesn't really matter, in this case. Irena put square brackets around the Jade, Brad etc statement, which should fix the problem.

When I was doing my own testing with your code, I too, found out that the problem was with that particular if statement. It meant that even if I didn't input a name, it still said it was already taken! I fixed it with a similar solution (using normal brackets not square)
Wow I really should've listened to my doctor when he said I needed glasses lol. I didn't even notice the brackets!! Thank you for pointing out they were there, or else I would've rotted in this chair, forever stumped TT.TT
Sorry Irena >.>

EDIT: everything worked, except for when I tried to put brackets around my 29-word long list of expletives (in the same format as the "Jade, Brad, etc.)...it would just say "Welcome to your journey (censored)!" (censorship for this forum, not in the program)

Draziya
Regular
Completed: this was for you. [NaNoRenO 19], Acetylene [AceJam19], Ah!! My Roommate is a Succubus Hellbent on World [MonJam 18], I Don't Have A Clue [QRMJam 18], Cautionary Tale [NaNoRenO 18], OP Dodge Cross [GGJ 18], Acetone [AceJam 18]
Projects: I'm a love interest in my childhood friend's reverse harem!!
Organization: Watercress
itch: Drazillion

#6 Post by Draziya »

Oops, forgot to also point out that it's not just the brackets that do the trick, but also the fact that it's

in ["JADE", "BRAD", "BRIAN", "PHIPPEN", "SHARON", "STUDENT"]:
not

== ["JADE", "BRAD", "BRIAN", "PHIPPEN", "SHARON", "STUDENT"]:
You want the code to see if a string is in a list, not that a string somehow equals an entire list.

RoboKnight

#7 Post by RoboKnight »

Oh it works now! Thank you! My eyes definitely skipped over the "in" keyword. Thank you so much again for pointing that out for me!