try to make a game like summertime saga

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
texasstallion
Regular

try to make a game like summertime saga

#1 Post by texasstallion »

so i trying to make a game like summertime saga i curious if i should use all image map to navigate the game, and how would i be able to implement a day system with time and energy and money with it.

irredeemable
Regular

Re: try to make a game like summertime saga

#2 Post by irredeemable »

That's a pretty far-reaching question. Maybe you should try looking at some examples from the cookbook or elsewhere, then asking a more specific question if you get stuck.

irredeemable
Regular

#3 Post by irredeemable »

Although with regards to the imagemap question I would suggest using a screen and imagebuttons instead.

ajay1203

#4 Post by ajay1203 »

You are making a game like summertime saga, that's a good step but my suggestion don't make the game exactly to summertime saga make few divergent changes and take reference from these similar games like summertime saga

Spoons

#5 Post by Spoons »

irredeemable wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:41 pm Although with regards to the imagemap question I would suggest using a screen and imagebuttons instead.
Could you explain why you'd use one over the other? Are imagemaps not as performance friendly as imagebuttons?

Thanks.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#6 Post by trooper6 »

Imagebuttons are more versatile. There are also things you can do with imagebuttons that you can't do with imagemaps, like putting transforms on those buttons.

You may want to look at the tutorial/framework that explains imagebuttons here: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=22565
But make sure you download the fixed version which you can find at this post here: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=22565&start=75#p455107
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Spoons

#7 Post by Spoons »

Thank you very much.

I personally only want to know one thing they did with Summertime saga and that is how they did the computer interaction. You can interact with the computer and actually type the password into the box without it being in the chat window. It also looks like it's somehow nested within a screen, because you can still press a big shutdown button while you're inside this text box. Just not sure how they did it and would love to implement it into my game or just learn that knowledge for future use.