is it ok to look at people scripts, if so how

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
texasstallion
Regular

is it ok to look at people scripts, if so how

#1 Post by texasstallion »

Ok probably a dumb question but, i want to learn how so of these game scripts are being made, so i can understand how they get their games to work like they do. Now I know most people wont let you look at the script in there game but i'm sure some will, how do i know if i can and i do i look at scripts.

irredeemable
Regular

Re: is it ok to look at people scripts, if so how

#2 Post by irredeemable »

If the dev has archived the scripts then it's safe to assume they'd rather the scripts not be public. If they haven't then you would find the .rpy files in the /game directory.

texasstallion
Regular

#3 Post by texasstallion »

sorry what do you mean by archived im new to coding. i wemt to a game i like and went to the golder with the game and found a file called script but i cant open it (or im opening it wrong)

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by rayminator »

to open rpy files you need editor like atom editor but if it's a rpyc you won't be able to open it

here is a copy of Doki Doki Literature Club! to look at it to learn but it a advance knowledge

copy of atom

hope this helps you out