In Game Dating App Selection Menu

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
theartofflorence

In Game Dating App Selection Menu

#1 Post by theartofflorence »

Hello! My name is Florence and I'm definitely new to coding. I'm mostly just an art person but I've somehow found myself coding a dating sim. I've mostly been able to teach myself, but I've run into a bit of a problem. I participated in a Game Jam with a few other people and it's all boiled down to me, and our game centers around a dating app. We want the dating app screen to look similar to the main menu of "the Arcana," where there are round icons that you can click on, and then you can view the character's info and gallery. However, I can't quite figure out how to make the simulation of a phone work and I'm running in circles trying to figure out how to do it. The whole game is due on the 28th and I really don't want to have to cut the app out of the game since they share a namesake.
If anyone can help me, that would be amazing!

For a bit more info, there are three characters, so there would need to be three buttons, which would each lead to a different page for their information. Ideally, I want to have a "phone" border and a little animation to show the phone coming onto the screen, but that would just be above and beyond. After you select a character and look at their bio, instead of a return button, there's a green and a red one. The green one says, "They're the One for Me" and the red one says, "Let's Keep Looking." The green one takes you down that character's date and the red one takes you back to the selection screen.
I'm absolutely stumped since all the info I can gather seems to either be for actual minigames (like pong and matching cards) or I can't figure it out. I'd love to spend more time learning Python, but I only have a week left.
Thank you so much for anyone who can help generate this or help me to do the same!

irredeemable
Regular

Re: In Game Dating App Selection Menu

#2 Post by irredeemable »

You need to use a screen. There are at least a couple of different examples in the Renpy cookbook forum: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=40245 viewtopic.php?f=51&t=15292#p199264 . I don't know how close they are to what you're trying to accomplish but maybe they'll give you some idea of what you need to do.

theartofflorence

Re: In Game Dating App Selection Menu

#3 Post by theartofflorence »

Hey! Thank you for replying. That's definitely a lot closer than what I have currently, so I'll see what I can glean from that, but as for the function of the phone, it's unfortunately not quite right. This is more like what we were hoping for as far as the actual main menu: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLg9CUiUIAAelLf.jpg (Of course, with three characters, not six) and the bios to function sort of like this: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/the ... 1022230341 By no means do we plan on taking the designs from the Arcana, but the way their main menu works feels really simple and intuitive and we have a short game to work with so ours needs to be like that as well. So if you have any ideas or suggestions for where to look to get something like this, that'd be great. In the meantime, thank you so much for the links. I'll definitely give them a good read and try to get at what they're doing.