How to have set number of lines appear on NVL mode instead of scrolling upwards?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
amada

How to have set number of lines appear on NVL mode instead of scrolling upwards?

#1 Post by amada »

Hi! I'm a bit unfamiliar with how making an NVL works but I've checked through the renpy cookbook and some tutorials over here at the forums for some answers but a lot of the things discussed on customizing the NVL confused me. Specifically, I want to be able to have a set number of lines appear on my NVL textbox, before it disappears and is replaced by a new set of lines instead of the previous texts scrolling upwards as new lines appear. (i.e. a chunk of 7 lines appear, disappears, then a new chunk plays out)

I've already managed to do the part on the number of lines I want to appear, but I'm still very stumped on how to do the other.

Help would be much appreciated, thank you very much!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: How to have set number of lines appear on NVL mode instead of scrolling upwards?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Code: Select all

e "And now I want to clear the screen of all text"
    nvl clear
    e "Its gone!"
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

amada

Re: How to have set number of lines appear on NVL mode instead of scrolling upwards?

#3 Post by amada »

[*]
Imperf3kt wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:19 pm

Code: Select all

e "And now I want to clear the screen of all text"
    nvl clear
    e "Its gone!"

Thanks! This definitely helps!
Although I was wondering if it were possible for the text to clear up once a certain number of lines appear, instead of having to manually clear them up using the above code?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

Not that I am aware of. Perhaps someone else knows more.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter