6.99.14.2 Prereleased

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

Re: 6.99.14.2 Prereleased

#16 Post by xavimat »

jack_norton wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:43 am- manually have to open each file. In editra it opens all the .rpy files on startup automatically. When you have large projects like mine with 40+ files...
For me, the option "Open project" in Renpy works like a charm (section "Edit File"; renpy will present "open all files" if Editra is selected and "Open Project" if Atom is the selected editor). It opens Atom and, in the left there is the complete list of my rpy files.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#17 Post by jack_norton »

No wait, on the left there's the directory tree. You can click on each to open it. But with Editra it actually opens in the editor, so you can quickly alt-tab to jump from a file to another.
But anyway that was the minor gripe :) There were a lot of minor annoying thing, like the search/replace completely missing etc. I moved back to Editra and my coding speed returned normal. If you do "regular" VN probably is not a big deal, but when you start to code complex stuff you don't want to waste 25-30 seconds every time you need to do more than copy paste :lol:
A shame since I was really looking forward to this, but in the end it disappointed greatly IMHO.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

SleepKirby
Veteran
Projects: Eastern Starlight Romance, Touhou Mecha
Organization: Dai-Sukima Dan

#18 Post by SleepKirby »

Trying Atom and it seems pretty good to me so far. I was having a few usability issues myself, but I appreciate that many of them can be customized away. Here's what I did:
  • In the autocomplete-plus core package's settings, changed "Keymap for Confirming a Suggestion" to "tab always, enter when suggestion explicitly selected". With the default where Enter always works, autocomplete gets in the way when I've finished typing a line and want to create a new line.
  • Defined a "paste without reformatting" keymapping of Ctrl+V, since the normal paste's auto indentation seems completely wrong
  • Installed the simple-drag-drop-text package, so that dragging highlighted text lets me drop it somewhere else
Also, I wanted to have only one copy of Atom and have it live somewhere outside of my Ren'Py folder, so I set my copy of Atom to be Windows' default .rpy file assocation, and picked preferences -> Text Editor -> System Editor in the Ren'Py launcher.
Last edited by SleepKirby on Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#19 Post by PyTom »

You can also edit atom/Atom.edit.py, to aim it at your copy of Atom.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

SleepKirby
Veteran

#20 Post by SleepKirby »

Ah, okay. Yeah, it looks like that is a better way to select Atom, so that the bottom of the launcher's "Edit File" menu has "Open project". When I use the System Editor option, that choice is "All script files" instead. Open project does what I expect, while All script files seems to open one Atom window (not tab) per script file, which brought my PC to its knees!
(Edit: never mind? I can't seem to replicate this, now it's opening in Atom tabs which is much more reasonable. Weird...)

I wish I didn't need to download and keep that extra copy of Atom, though, just so I can select the Atom I already have. I tried keeping the atom folder with Atom.edit.py and nothing else. But when I did that, selecting Atom in the launcher made it start downloading Atom again.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#21 Post by PyTom »

Thought I don't really want to spend a lot of time supporting this, you can grab Atom.edit.py from https://github.com/renpy/renpy-deps/tree/master/atom . If you put it into renpy-whatever-sdk/atom/Atom.edit.py, it should prevent it from reinstalling.

SleepKirby
Veteran

#22 Post by SleepKirby »

That's what I tried before, but I figured it out just now. In addition to Atom.edit.py, I also needed to create an empty atom/atom-windows folder. Now I can select Atom without it downloading another one.
Things are all good on my end now!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#23 Post by Imperf3kt »

On the latest Ren'Py I am unable to use Editra. I did NOT download Atom, I did NOT change anything, all I did was update Ren'Py, restart it and try to open a project file.
It proeeds to an "update" which finishes in a few seconds and then returns me to the launcher saying the update has been applied.
I then tried again to use Editra and it repeates the update process.
I then went to preferences and tried to set Editra as the default editor (as I had it set to before I updated) and it takes me to the same update screen, which again finishes in a few seconds then returns me to the launcher. but when trying to open a script file again, it takes me to the update screen.

I'm a bit upset about this and wonder why this happened. I don't want atom, I don't like atom, I refuse to switch to atom. How do I continue to use Editra from the launcher?

A video showing the issue:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/x2p ... -47-19.mp4

Edit: Nevermind, I needed to update again since it's been a few days since I did this update.
Updating to the very latest Ren'Py (6.99.14.2375) did the trick.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#24 Post by PyTom »

6.99.14.2.3304)

After getting a bunch of bugs sent in, I've gone ahead and updated the prerelease. The biggest fixes are a couple of changes that deal with cases in which transforms in screens might not have called their "on show" handlers. Ren'Py should now call those handlers whenever a transform in a screen does not replace itself in a currently showing screen. (And the "on replaced" handler should be called in those cases.)

There's also an issue that's been fixed where adding from clauses (as is done when a game is released) could change local labels and translation identifiers.

Editra has been fixed.

The new renpy.get_say_image_tag() function returns the image tag associated with the speaking character.

And a bunch more. Please check out the changelog for info, and test what I have at https://www.renpy.org/release/6.99.14.2 so I can release it in the next few days.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#25 Post by Donmai »

PyTom wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:16 pm The new renpy.get_say_image_tag() function returns the image tag associated with the speaking character.
Applause!
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#26 Post by PyTom »

I just uploaded 6.99.14.2.3310, which improves accessibility by making it possible to translate self-voicing for non-English languages, and by including more relevant information in the self voicing. Apart from translation updates or critical bugs, this is it for 6.99.14.2.

SleepKirby
Veteran

#27 Post by SleepKirby »

For my use case where I have a separately-downloaded Atom, updating the launcher makes it re-download Atom to the renpy folder. I tried the update process with (A) Atom.edit.py edited directly to specify an ATOM value, and with (B) Atom.edit.py not edited, but a RENPY_ATOM environment var value set. In both cases, a launcher update triggered an Atom re-download. As mentioned in my previous post, I had an empty atom-windows folder before the update.

Not really a critical issue though, and I'm personally fine without setting a Renpy text editor anyway. I just open Atom outside of Renpy, and the Renpy syntax highlighting is the main benefit I get from all of this. I'll just look more into this later and see if I can suggest any improvements.

lemmatree

#28 Post by lemmatree »

Good to see the translation versions are made possible. :-)
An Amateur Gamer & A Professional Mandarin Translator. :)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#29 Post by PyTom »

6.99.14.2.3327)

This fixes a couple of longstanding bugs. One is an "[Error 5] Access is denied." on windows when installing the Android SDK or building for Android. The second is missing gui image files that can occur if one clicks launch immediately after creating a new game on a slow system.

This also updates the Russian translation.

I'd probably recommend this version for NaNoRenO releases, as it fixes some bugs that are in 6.99.14.1.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#30 Post by Imperf3kt »

Trying to create a new project using the latest update (updated ten minutes ago to 6.99.14.3327)
I am trying to create a project at 9:16 ratio using the custom setting. Sometimes it works fine, but randomly during development will give me the message "a screen called game_menu does not exist", which then points to > screen help(): as the culprit. sometimes it makes the game but the assets are generated at 16:9 resolution...

And then there is the most common error I'm seeing:
I got this screen right after making the project. Ren'Py hadn't even returned to the launcher.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/xvd ... -09-24.mp4

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
Exception: DynamicImage [u'gui/button/navigation_[prefix_]background.png', u'gui/button/[prefix_]background.png']: could not find image. (u'gui/button/navigation_idle_background.png', u'gui/button/navigation_background.png', and 2 more.)

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 28, in script
    python hide:
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\renpy\renpy-6.99.14-sdk\renpy\ast.py", line 862, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\renpy\renpy-6.99.14-sdk\renpy\python.py", line 1839, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 28, in <module>
    python hide:
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 35, in _execute_python_hide
    ui.interact()
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\renpy\renpy-6.99.14-sdk\renpy\ui.py", line 287, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\renpy\renpy-6.99.14-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 2635, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\renpy\renpy-6.99.14-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 3118, in interact_core
    self.draw_screen(root_widget, fullscreen_video, (not fullscreen_video) or video_frame_drawn)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\renpy\renpy-6.99.14-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 2041, in draw_screen
    renpy.config.screen_height,
  File "render.pyx", line 485, in renpy.display.render.render_screen
  File "render.pyx", line 233, in renpy.display.render.render
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\renpy\renpy-6.99.14-sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 711, in render
    surf = render(child, width, height, cst, cat)
  File "render.pyx", line 145, in renpy.display.render.render
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\renpy\renpy-6.99.14-sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 711, in render
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\renpy\renpy-6.99.14-sdk\renpy\display\screen.py", line 647, in render
    child = renpy.display.render.render(self.child, w, h, st, at)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\renpy\renpy-6.99.14-sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 913, in render
    surf = render(d, width - x, rh, cst, cat)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\renpy\renpy-6.99.14-sdk\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 724, in render
    rv = super(Button, self).render(width, height, st, at)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\renpy\renpy-6.99.14-sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1083, in render
    xminimum = max(xminimum, size_groups[size_group].width(width, height, st, at))
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\renpy\renpy-6.99.14-sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1025, in width
    rend = i.render(width, height, st, at)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\renpy\renpy-6.99.14-sdk\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 724, in render
    rv = super(Button, self).render(width, height, st, at)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\renpy\renpy-6.99.14-sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1138, in render
    back = render(style.background, bw, bh, st, at)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\renpy\renpy-6.99.14-sdk\renpy\display\imagelike.py", line 257, in render
    crend = render(image, width, height, st, at)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\renpy\renpy-6.99.14-sdk\renpy\display\image.py", line 624, in render
    self.find_target()
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\renpy\renpy-6.99.14-sdk\renpy\display\image.py", line 551, in find_target
    raise Exception(error)
Exception: DynamicImage [u'gui/button/navigation_[prefix_]background.png', u'gui/button/[prefix_]background.png']: could not find image. (u'gui/button/navigation_idle_background.png', u'gui/button/navigation_background.png', and 2 more.)

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.99.14.2.3327
test 1.0
Mon Mar 26 18:57:00 2018
Could this just be my choice of aspect ratio, or is there some other reason I constantly see this (I saw it a lot ever since the switch to the new GUI way back in November 2016)
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter