Textbox briefly appears when changing scene inside choice.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
NocturneLight
Regular
Projects: Unsound Minds: The Clarevine Epoch
Organization: Reminiscent 64
Tumblr: Reminiscent64
itch: Reminiscent64

Textbox briefly appears when changing scene inside choice.

#1 Post by NocturneLight »

I have the following code:

Code: Select all

label scene8:
    scene cTearyEyed with fade
    hide black

nar "My watery eyes are annoying me. I stop to dab them dry, but it takes longer than it should. If I'm starting to come down with something, that'll suck." 

nar "It wouldn't do for me to be cooking for guests while sick. Still haven't decided what is on the menu." 

show black with fade
    hide cTearyEyed

nar "So much for getting ahead of the \"train\", my boss so lovingly likes to shout at me."

nar "The elevator is down again." 

nar "Stairs it is."

scene cWindowStare with fade
    hide black

"Wasn't easy to find this flat. The view from the windows is... tough to describe. It's like I'm seeing it for the first time. Ok slacker, the sides are already done. It's time to cook. What's it going to be?"

menu:
        "Chili":
            scene cCooking with fade
            hide cWindowStare

nar "I love the smell of boiling beans and legumes: pinto, lentils and kidney. With the hard work of soak and search done, I can watch them dance in the water while stirring the turkey and chicken meat mix. Once I ditched canned ingredients, chili became much more fun and flavorful. "

"Fish":
            scene cCooking with fade
            hide cWindowStare

nar "Having to eat my mistakes, cooked ones of course, taught me well. The cuts are laid out in the pot, wating for my lime/orange rub. Brushing this on each piece ramps up the aroma of the seasoning the fish sat in overnight." 

nar "Once covered, they will go into the oven, exiting at the right time to melt in the mouth of those who partake."

"Tacos":
            scene cCooking with fade
            hide cWindowStare

nar "Salsa, cheese, spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers and shells of the soft variety, decorate the table. I used to have the meat done prior to all of this, but changed that approach quickly, as freshly melted cheese is awesome."

nar "Speaking of which, I can't decide on one so three are available: Colby Jack, Havarti and Provolone. A small bowl of black olives sticks out, as if it's taunting me. Not my cup of chocolate, but it was a request, so I'll oblige."

unkc "Now, it's time to set the table."
# Because there's nothing to return to, the game just ends when you call return here.
return
When I click any of the menu choices, a text box appears and then disappears and then the scene transition occurs. Is there a way to stop that textbox from appearing? It's out of place and annoys me to no end.
The Old Guard is at His Limit. The time is near to usher in the New Guard.

The Great Horror is soon to be free.

Clarevine is the key.

"Unsound Minds: The Clarevine Epoch" is a yuri visual novel that shatters english visual novel norms and aims to blend Christianity and the Cthulhu Mythos to tell a deep and dark story that you'll enjoy. You can follow the Kickstarter here.

Stay sound and persist through the chaos,
NocturneLight

K0torisan
Regular

Re: Textbox briefly appears when changing scene inside choice.

#2 Post by K0torisan »

Try changing the scene before the menu comes up.

So:

scene cCooking with fade
hide cWindowStare

menu:
        "Chili":
            nar "I love the smell of boiling beans and legumes: pinto, lentils and kidney. With the hard work of soak and search done, I can watch them dance in the water while stirring the turkey and chicken meat mix. Once I ditched canned ingredients, chili became much more fun and flavorful." 

And so on with the other choices. If the scene is the same for each choice this might work better?

NocturneLight
Regular
Projects: Unsound Minds: The Clarevine Epoch
Organization: Reminiscent 64
Tumblr: Reminiscent64
itch: Reminiscent64

Re: Textbox briefly appears when changing scene inside choice.

#3 Post by NocturneLight »

K0torisan wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:07 am Try changing the scene before the menu comes up.

So:

scene cCooking with fade
hide cWindowStare

menu:
        "Chili":
            nar "I love the smell of boiling beans and legumes: pinto, lentils and kidney. With the hard work of soak and search done, I can watch them dance in the water while stirring the turkey and chicken meat mix. Once I ditched canned ingredients, chili became much more fun and flavorful." 

And so on with the other choices. If the scene is the same for each choice this might work better?
I could. But doing that doesn't feel right because then the viewer is looking at a CG of someone cooking before they've begun cooking.
The Old Guard is at His Limit. The time is near to usher in the New Guard.

The Great Horror is soon to be free.

Clarevine is the key.

"Unsound Minds: The Clarevine Epoch" is a yuri visual novel that shatters english visual novel norms and aims to blend Christianity and the Cthulhu Mythos to tell a deep and dark story that you'll enjoy. You can follow the Kickstarter here.

Stay sound and persist through the chaos,
NocturneLight